(a) Without prior notice to the obligor, the agency may issue to any person, including an entity, political subdivision, or state agency, an order to withhold and deliver property under this section; the order may be issued
(1) immediately upon issuance of an income withholding order that provides for immediate income withholding under AS 25.27.062(a);
(2) immediately after an arrearage occurs under a support order described in AS 25.27.150(a);
(3) at the expiration of 30 days after the date of service of a notice and finding of financial responsibility under AS 25.27.160; or
(4) at the expiration of 30 days after service of a decision establishing paternity and financial responsibility under AS 25.27.165.
(b) All real or personal property belonging to the obligor is subject to an order to withhold and deliver, including, but not limited to, earnings that are due, owing, or belonging to the debtor. In calculating the amount to be withheld and delivered under an order issued under this section, the agency shall give credit to the obligor for the cost to the obligor of medical and dental insurance for the children and educational payments for the children to the extent that the insurance coverage and educational payments are required in the applicable child support order and are actually paid for by the obligor.
(c) The agency may issue an order to withhold and deliver when it has reason to believe that there is in the possession of a person, political subdivision, or department of the state property that is due, owing, or belonging to the obligor.
(d) The order to withhold and deliver shall be served upon the person, political subdivision, or department of the state possessing the property electronically or in the manner provided for service of liens under AS 25.27.240. The order must state the amount of the obligor’s liability and must state in summary the terms of AS 25.27.260 and 25.27.270.
(e) Any person, political subdivision, or department of the state served with an order to withhold and deliver is required to make true answers to inquiries contained in the order under oath and in writing within 14 days after service of the order, and is further required to answer all inquiries subsequently put.
(f) If a person, political subdivision, or department of the state upon whom service of an order to withhold and deliver has been made possesses property due, owing, or belonging to the obligor, that person, subdivision, or department shall withhold the property immediately upon receipt of the order and shall deliver the property to the agency (1) if the property is earnings of an employee who is subject to a child support order being enforced by the agency, within seven business days after the amount would, but for this section, have been paid or credited to the employee; or (2) in the case of all other property, within 14 business days after the date of service of the order. The agency shall hold property delivered under this subsection in trust for application against the liability of the obligor under AS 25.27.062, 25.27.120, or 25.27.160 or for return, without interest, depending on final determination of liability or nonliability under this chapter. The agency may accept a good and sufficient bond to secure payment of past, present, and future support conditioned upon final determination of liability in lieu of requiring delivery of property under this subsection.
(g) Delivery to the agency of the money or other property due, owing, or belonging to the obligor shall satisfy the requirement of the order to withhold and deliver. Delivery of money due and owing to the obligor under any contract of employment, express or implied, or held by any person, political subdivision, or department of the state, and subject to withdrawal by the obligor, shall be delivered by remittance payable to the order of the agency.
(h) [Repealed, § 148(a) ch 87 SLA 1997.]
(i) An order to withhold and deliver under this section has priority over all other attachments, executions, garnishments, or other legal process brought under state law against the same property unless otherwise ordered by the court. Exemptions under AS 09.38 do not apply to proceedings to enforce the payment of child support under AS 25.27.230 — 25.27.270; however, net disposable earnings are exempt from execution as provided in 15 U.S.C. 1673(b). In this subsection, “net disposable earnings” has the meaning given in 15 U.S.C. 1672.
(j) A person, political subdivision, or department that fails to comply with an order to withhold and deliver served under this subsection is subject to penalties under AS 25.27.260. A person, political subdivision, or department may, for each payment made under an order to withhold and deliver, deduct $5 from other wages or salary owed to the obligor.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 25.27.010. Creation of child support services agency.
- Sec. 25.27.020. Duties and responsibilities of the agency.
- Sec. 25.27.022. Establishment and enforcement requests from other states.
- Sec. 25.27.025. Rate of interest.
- Sec. 25.27.030. Establishment of fund.
- Sec. 25.27.040. Determination of paternity.
- Sec. 25.27.045. Determination of support obligation.
- Sec. 25.27.050. Legal assistance.
- Sec. 25.27.060. Order of support. Repealed
- Sec. 25.27.062. Income withholding order for support.
- Sec. 25.27.065. Waiver of child support.
- Sec. 25.27.070. Order to assign wages for support.
- Sec. 25.27.075. Employment information.
- Sec. 25.27.080. Enforcement of support orders.
- Sec. 25.27.085. Subpoenas.
- Sec. 25.27.095. Agency exempt from execution.
- Sec. 25.27.100. All persons may use agency. Repealed
- Sec. 25.27.103. Payments to agency.
- Sec. 25.27.105. Audit of collections.
- Sec. 25.27.107. Certification of arrears. Renumbered
- Sec. 25.27.120. Obligor liable for public assistance furnished obligee.
- Sec. 25.27.125. Accounting and disposition of federal receipts and agency collections.
- Sec. 25.27.130. Subrogation of state.
- Sec. 25.27.135. Limitation on actions to establish child support obligation.
- Sec. 25.27.140. Authority and procedures to administratively establish and enforce support obligation.
- Sec. 25.27.150. Initiation of administrative enforcement of orders; required notice.
- Sec. 25.27.160. Initiation of administrative action to establish support duty; required notice.
- Sec. 25.27.165. Determination of paternity in an administrative proceeding.
- Sec. 25.27.167. Contempt of order for genetic testing.
- Sec. 25.27.170. Hearings in administrative action to establish support duty.
- Sec. 25.27.180. Administrative findings and decision.
- Sec. 25.27.190. Modification of administrative finding or decision.
- Sec. 25.27.193. Periodic review or adjustment of support orders.
- Sec. 25.27.195. Relief from administrative order.
- Sec. 25.27.200. Use of standards in administrative determinations of support amounts.
- Sec. 25.27.210. Judicial review of administrative decisions and actions.
- Sec. 25.27.220. Procedure in judicial reviews.
- Sec. 25.27.225. Support payment obligations as judgments.
- Sec. 25.27.227. Nature of remedies.
- Sec. 25.27.230. Assertion, recording, and effect of lien.
- Sec. 25.27.240. Service of lien.
- Sec. 25.27.244. Adverse action against delinquent obligor’s occupational license.
- Sec. 25.27.246. Adverse action against delinquent obligor’s driver’s license.
- Sec. 25.27.253. Earnings subject to an order or lien.
- Sec. 25.27.255. Disposition of payments under income withholding orders. Repealed
- Sec. 25.27.260. Civil liability upon failure to comply with an order or lien.
- Sec. 25.27.265. Method of service; notification of change of address.
- Sec. 25.27.270. Judicial relief from administrative execution.
- Sec. 25.27.273. Reporting of payment information concerning delinquent obligors.
- Sec. 25.27.275. Nondisclosure of information in exceptional circumstances.
- Sec. 25.27.278. Payments not disbursed.
- Sec. 25.27.280. Severability: Alternative when method of notification held invalid.
- Sec. 25.27.300. Requests pertaining to remarriage.
- Sec. 25.27.320. Interest on agency return of certain overpayments.
- Sec. 25.27.900. Definitions.