Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 23. Health Care Services Information and Review Organizations
- Section 70. Definitions For AS 18.23.005
previous: Section 65
. [Renumbered as AS 18.23.005
next: Section 100
. Use of Electronic Medical Records.
AS 18.23.070. Definitions For AS 18.23.005
In AS 18.23.005
- 18.23.070, unless the context otherwise requires,
- (1) "administrative staff" means the staff of a hospital or clinic;
- (2) "health care" means professional services rendered by a health care provider or an employee of a health care provider,
and services furnished by a sanatorium, rest home, nursing home, boarding home, or other institution for the
hospitalization or care of human beings;
- (3) "health care provider" means an acupuncturist licensed under AS 08.06; a chiropractor licensed under AS 08.20; a dental hygienist licensed under AS 08.32; a dentist licensed under AS 08.36; a nurse licensed under AS 08.68; a dispensing optician licensed under AS 08.71; an optometrist licensed under AS 08.72; a pharmacist licensed under AS 08.80; a physical therapist or occupational therapist licensed under
AS 08.84; a physician licensed under AS 08.64; a podiatrist; a psychologist and a psychological associate
licensed under AS 08.86; a hospital as defined in AS 18.20.130
, including a governmentally owned or operated hospital; and an employee of a health care provider acting within the
course and scope of employment;
- (4) "professional service" means service rendered by a health care provider of the type the provider is licensed to
- (5) "review organization" means
- (A) a hospital governing body or a committee whose membership is limited to health care providers and administrative
staff, except where otherwise provided for by state or federal law, and that is established by a hospital, by a clinic,
by one or more state or local associations of health care providers, by an organization of health care providers from a
particular area or medical institution, or by a professional standards review organization established under 42 U.S.C.
1320c-1, to gather and review information relating to the care and treatment of patients for the purposes of
- (i) evaluating and improving the quality of health care rendered in the area or medical institution;
- (ii) reducing morbidity or mortality;
- (iii) obtaining and disseminating statistics and information relative to the treatment and prevention of diseases, illness,
- (iv) developing and publishing guidelines showing the norms of health care in the area or medical institution;
- (v) developing and publishing guidelines designed to keep the cost of health care within reasonable bounds;
- (vi) reviewing the quality or cost of health care services provided to enrollees of health maintenance organizations;
- (vii) acting as a professional standards review organization under 42 U.S.C. 1320c;
- (viii) reviewing, ruling on, or advising on controversies, disputes, or questions between a health insurance carrier or
health maintenance organization and one or more of its insured or enrollees; between a professional licensing board,
acting under its powers of discipline or license revocation or suspension, and a health care provider licensed by it
when the matter is referred to a review organization by the professional licensing board; between a health care
provider and the provider's patients concerning diagnosis, treatment, or care, or a charge or fee; between a health
care provider and a health insurance carrier or health maintenance organization concerning a charge or fee for health
care services provided to an insured or enrollee; or between a health care provider or the provider's patients and the
federal or a state or local government, or an agency of the federal or a state or local government;
- (ix) acting on the recommendation of a credential review committee or a grievance committee;
- (B) the State Medical Board established by AS 08.64.010
- (C) a committee established by the commissioner of health and social services and approved by the State Medical Board to
review public health issues regarding morbidity or mortality; at least 75 percent of the committee members must be
health care providers;
- (D) the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
Article 03. FORM OF MEDICAL RECORDS
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.