- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions
- Chapter 8. Assistance For Catastrophic Illness and Chronic or Acute Medical Conditions
- Section 140. Definitions.
previous: Section 130
next: Section 150
. Assistance For Chronic or Acute Medical Conditions.
AS 47.08.140. Definitions.
In AS 47.08.010
- (1) "applicant" means a person who has suffered a catastrophic illness and is applying for assistance under AS 47.08.010
- 47.08.140 or is the subject of an application for
assistance under AS 47.08.010
- (2) "applicant's share" means the amount of the total medical expense related to the catastrophic illness that the
committee determines the applicant can reasonably be expected to pay based on income, assets, and number of dependents
under AS 47.08.060
- (3) "catastrophic illness" means illness or injury that results in medical expenses of over $1,000 during a period not to
exceed 12 months, after all other sources of third-party payment have been exhausted;
- (4) "committee" means the Catastrophic Illness Committee, created under AS 47.08.020
- (5) "elective medical or surgical procedures" means treatment that is not essential to the life or health of a person;
- (6) "family" means two or more persons related by blood or marriage or adoption living as one economic unit;
- (7) "liquid assets" means assets that can be readily converted to cash;
- (8) "medical expense" means any financial obligation incurred in the course of treatment of illness as prescribed by a
physician, including bills for ancillary services, patient transportation, transportation of a medical or family escort
when reasonably necessary, or living expenses while receiving outpatient treatment in a community to which the
applicant is not reasonably able to commute from the applicant's permanent place of abode;
- (9) "nonliquid assets" means all assets that are not liquid assets;
- (10) "permanent place of abode" means a dwelling, or a dwelling unit in a multiple dwelling, including lots and
outbuildings or an appropriate portion of these, that are necessary to convenient use of the dwelling unit;
- (11) "provider" means a licensed physician, pharmacist, dentist, or other health service worker or a licensed hospital,
clinic, skilled nursing home, intermediate care facility or health maintenance organization that has provided services
not excluded by AS 47.08.050
to an applicant as a result of a catastrophic illness;
- (12) "third-party payments" means payments of medical expenses related to a catastrophic illness by sources other than the
applicant or the committee, including but not limited to state and federal medical assistance programs, private health
insurance, employment-related health insurance, military health insurance, workers' compensation, violent crimes
compensation, Indian Health Service of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, and awards in legal
Article 02. MEDICAL ASSISTANCE FOR CHRONIC OR ACUTE MEDICAL CONDITIONS
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.