- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions
- Chapter 8. Assistance For Catastrophic Illness and Chronic or Acute Medical Conditions
- Section 60. Calculation of Applicant's Share.
previous: Section 50
. Services Excluded From Coverage.
next: Section 70
. Standards For Reimbursement to Providers.
AS 47.08.060. Calculation of Applicant's Share.
- (a) As frequently as necessary the committee shall adopt, in light of appropriated funds and expected need, a formula to
be used in determining the applicant's share of total medical expenses incurred as a result of a catastrophic illness,
based on the applicant's annual gross income, number of dependents, amount of assets, and forthcoming third-party
payments, all considered in light of the requirement that the applicant's share will be paid to the provider on a
payment schedule covering a period of at least three years.
- (b) For the purposes of applying the formula to determine the applicant's share, multiple catastrophic illness occurring
within a 12-month period to the applicant or other members of the applicant's family shall be treated as one
- (c) In applying the formula to determine the applicant's share, the total gross income and the total assets of the family
of the applicant may be taken into account, with the following exceptions:
- (1) the applicant's permanent place of abode;
- (2) one noncommercial vehicle;
- (3) tools, equipment, vehicles and other assets required in a trade or business;
- (4) ordinary household and personal effects;
- (5) $1,000 of liquid assets;
- (6) all nonliquid assets unless this exclusion would bring about an inequitable result; however, all income derived from
this property shall be taken into consideration in determining the recipient's gross income;
- (7) inalienable shares in a Native corporation created under 43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq. (Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act),
for the period of their inalienability as specified in the Act;
- (8) Alaska longevity bonus payments;
- (9) any other assets specifically restricted for the use of the recipient by state or federal law.
- (d) Assets received by the applicant as a custodian, guardian, conservator, or trustee for another are not considered
assets of the custodian, guardian, conservator, or trustee.
- (e) The applicant's share shall be reduced in the amount of any premiums paid for health insurance or a prepaid medical
plan up to $500 if incurred in the 12-month period beginning with the occurrence of the injury or the onset of the
- (f) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, the committee may waive payment of an applicant's share when the
catastrophic illness is the proximate result of an immunization required by law.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.