- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation
- Chapter 3. Environmental Conservation
- Section 375. Certification of Storage Tank Workers.
previous: Section 370
. Educational Assistance.
next: Section 380
. Registration of Tanks and Tank Systems.
AS 46.03.375. Certification of Storage Tank Workers.
- (a) The department shall adopt regulations governing the certification of persons who install, test, close, repair, or
significantly change the configuration of underground petroleum storage tanks and tank systems. The certification
program shall be administered by the Department of Commerce, Community, and
Economic Development. In consultation with the Department of Environmental Conservation, the Department of Commerce, Community, and
Economic Development shall make every
reasonable attempt to ensure that opportunities for obtaining certification under this section are available throughout
the state. The Department of Commerce, Community, and
Economic Development shall organize presentation of national training courses that are available in the state and
assist residents of isolated communities who request assistance in becoming certified. The Department of Commerce, Community, and
Economic Development may contract with
the University of Alaska, a vocational technical school, or a regional nonprofit organization to provide the education
and testing necessary for certification.
- (b) The Department of Commerce, Community, and
Economic Development shall establish fees applicable to certification under this section in an amount necessary to cover the
costs of the certification program. The fees shall be collected by the Department of Commerce, Community, and
- (c) Except as provided in (d) of this section, a person may not install, test, close, repair, or significantly change the
configuration of an underground petroleum storage tank or tank system unless that person is certified for the
appropriate activity under (a) of this section. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a class B
- (d) A person may install, test, close, repair, or significantly change the configuration of an underground petroleum
storage tank or tank system without being certified under this section if
- (1) the person performs the work under the direct supervision of another who is certified for that work under this
- (2) the supervisor inspects the work performed; and
- (3) after inspection, the supervisor approves the work in writing.
- (e) AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act) applies to regulations
and certifications under this section.
- (f) The department shall develop and maintain lists of persons certified under this section to perform the various
activities related to underground petroleum storage tanks and tank systems. The department shall provide the lists on
request to interested persons.
- (g) In this section,
- (1) "close" means to remove petroleum and sludges from the tanks in the tank system and either fill the tanks with inert
solid material or remove, dismantle, and dispose of the tanks;
- (2) [Repealed, Sec. 25 ch 14 SLA 2005].
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.