- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation
- Chapter 40. The Alaska Coastal Management Program
- Section 40. Statewide Standards and District Plan Criteria.
previous: Section 30
. Development of District Coastal Management Plans.
next: Section 50
. Submission of District Plans By Coastal Resource Districts.
AS 46.40.040. Statewide Standards and District Plan Criteria.
- (a) Except as provided in (b) of this section and AS 41.17, the
- (1) by regulation, adopt under the provisions of AS 44.62
(Administrative Procedure Act) for the use of and application by coastal resource districts and state agencies for
carrying out their responsibilities under this chapter, statewide standards and district coastal management plan
- (A) identifying the boundaries of the coastal area subject to the Alaska coastal management program;
- (B) determining the land and water uses and activities subject to the Alaska coastal management program;
- (C) developing policies applicable to the land and water uses subject to the Alaska coastal management program;
- (D) developing regulations applicable to the land and water uses subject to the Alaska coastal management program;
- (E) developing policies and procedures to determine whether specific proposals for the land and water uses or activities
subject to the Alaska coastal management program shall be allowed;
- (F) designating and developing policies for the use of areas of the coast that merit special attention; and
- (G) measuring the progress of a coastal resource district in meeting its responsibilities under this chapter;
- (2) develop and maintain a program of technical and financial assistance to aid coastal resource districts in the
development and implementation of district coastal management plans;
- (3) undertake review and approval of district coastal management plans in accordance with this chapter;
- (4) initiate a process for identifying and managing uses of state concern within specific areas of the coast;
- (5) develop procedures or guidelines for consultation and coordination with federal agencies managing land or conducting
activities potentially affecting the coastal area of the state;
- (6) by regulation, establish a consistency review and determination or certification process that conforms to the
requirements of AS 46.40.096.
- (b) AS 46.03, AS 46.04, AS 46.09, AS 46.14, and the regulations adopted under those statutes constitute
the exclusive enforceable policies of the Alaska coastal management program for those purposes. For those purposes
- (1) the issuance of permits, certifications, approvals, and authorizations by the Department of Environmental Conservation
establishes consistency with the Alaska coastal management program for those activities of a proposed project subject
to those permits, certifications, approvals, and authorizations;
- (2) for a consistency review of an activity that does not require a Department of Environmental Conservation permit,
certification, approval, or authorization because the activity is a federal activity or the activity is located on
federal land or the federal outer continental shelf, consistency with AS 46.03, AS 46.04, AS 46.09, and AS 46.14 and the regulations adopted under those statutes shall be
established on the basis of whether the Department of Environmental Conservation finds that the activity satisfies the
requirements of those statutes and regulations.
- (c) For a consistency review described in (b)(2) of this section, the department, in addition to its review under AS 46.40.096
of all other enforceable policies applicable to the project, shall coordinate with the Department of Environmental
Conservation and issue the Department of Environmental Conservation's finding of whether the activity satisfies the
requirements of the statutes and regulations described in (b)(2) of this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.