- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 29. Secured Transactions
- Section 516. What Constitutes Filing; Effectiveness of Filing.
previous: Section 515
. Duration and Effectiveness of Financing Statement; Effect of Lapsed Financing Statement.
next: Section 517
. Effect of Indexing Errors.
AS 45.29.516. What Constitutes Filing; Effectiveness of Filing.
- (a) Except as otherwise provided in (b) of this section, communication of a record to a filing office and tender of the
filing fee or acceptance of the record by the filing office constitutes filing.
- (b) Filing does not occur with respect to a record that a filing office refuses to accept because
- (1) the record is not communicated by a method or medium of communication authorized by the filing office;
- (2) an amount equal to or greater than the applicable filing fee is not tendered;
- (3) the filing office is unable to index the record because, in the case of
- (A) an initial financing statement, the record does not provide a name for the debtor;
- (B) an amendment or correction statement, the record
- (i) does not identify the initial financing statement as required by AS 45.29.512
or 45.29.518, as applicable; or
- (ii) identifies an initial financing statement whose effectiveness has lapsed under AS 45.29.515
- (C) an initial financing statement that provides the name of a debtor identified as an individual or an amendment that
provides a name of a debtor identified as an individual that was not previously provided in the financing statement to
which the record relates, the record does not identify the debtor's last name; or
- (D) a record filed in the filing office described in AS 45.29.501(a)(1) that relates to real property, the record
does not provide a sufficient description of the real property to which it relates;
- (E) a fixture filing or other filing allowed to be filed for record in a filing office described in AS 45.29.501
(a)(1), the filing does not provide the name of the debtor and record owner;
- (4) in the case of an initial financing statement or an amendment that adds a secured party of record, the record does not
provide a name and mailing address for the secured party of record;
- (5) in the case of an initial financing statement or an amendment that provides a name of a debtor that was not previously
provided in the financing statement to which the amendment relates, the record does not
- (A) provide a mailing address for the debtor;
- (B) indicate whether the debtor is an individual or an organization; or
- (C) if the financing statement indicates that the debtor is an organization, provide
- (i) a type of organization for the debtor;
- (ii) a jurisdiction of organization for the debtor; or
- (iii) an organizational identification number for the debtor or indicate that the debtor does not have an organizational
- (6) in the case of an assignment reflected in an initial financing statement under AS 45.29.514
(a) or an amendment filed under AS 45.29.514(b), the
record does not provide a name and mailing address for the assignee; or
- (7) in the case of a continuation statement, the record is not filed within the six-month period prescribed by AS 45.29.515
- (c) For purposes of (b) of this section, a record
- (1) does not provide information if the filing office is unable to read or decipher the information; and
- (2) that does not indicate that it is an amendment or identify an initial financing statement to which it relates as
required by AS 45.29.512, 45.29.514, or 45.29.518 is an initial financing statement.
- (d) A record that is communicated to the filing office with tender of the filing fee, but which the filing office refuses
to accept for a reason other than one set out in (b) of this section, is effective as a filed record except as against
a purchaser of the collateral who gives value in reasonable reliance on the absence of the record from the files.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.