- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 7. Warehouse Receipts, Bills of Lading, and Other Documents of Title
- Section 102. Definitions and Index of Definitions.
previous: Section 101
. Short Title.
next: Section 103
. Relation of Sections to Treaty, Statute, Tariff, Classification, or Regulation.
AS 45.07.102. Definitions and Index of Definitions.
- (a) In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires,
- (1) "bailee" means the person who by a warehouse receipt, bill of lading, or other document of title acknowledges
possession of goods and contracts to deliver them;
- (2) "consignee" means the person named in a bill to whom or to whose order the bill promises delivery;
- (3) "consignor" means the person named in a bill as the person from whom the goods have been received for shipment;
- (4) "delivery order" means a written order to deliver goods directed to a warehouseman, carrier, or other person who in
the ordinary course of business issues warehouse receipts or bills of lading;
- (5) "document" means document of title as defined in the general definitions in AS 45.01.201
- (6) "goods" means all things that are treated as movable for the purpose of a contract of storage or transportation;
- (7) "issuer" means a bailee who issued a document except that in relation to an unaccepted delivery order it means the
person who orders the possessor of goods to deliver; issuer includes any person for whom an agent or employee purports
to act in issuing a document if the agent or employee has real or apparent authority to issue documents,
notwithstanding that the issuer received no goods or that the goods were misdescribed or that in any other respect the
agent or employee violated instructions;
- (8) "warehouseman" is a person engaged in the business of storing goods for hire.
- (b) Other definitions applying to this chapter, or to specified sections within this chapter and the sections in which the
definitions appear are:
- (1) "duly negotiate" (AS 45.07.501
- (2) "person entitled under the document" (AS 45.07.403
- (c) Definitions in AS 45.02 applying to this chapter and the
sections in which the definitions appear are:
- (1) "contract for sale" (AS 45.02.106
- (2) "overseas" (AS 45.02.323
- (3) "receipt" of goods (AS 45.02.103
- (d) In addition, AS 45.01 contains general definitions and
principles of construction and interpretation applicable throughout this chapter.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.