Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 15. Drivers' Licenses
- Section 61. Application For Driver's License or Instruction Permit; Notice of Anatomical Gift and Living Will Procedure.
previous: Section 60
. Applications of Minors. [Repealed, Sec. 19 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
next: Section 70
. Examination. [Repealed, Sec. 19 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
AS 28.15.061. Application For Driver's License or Instruction Permit; Notice of Anatomical Gift and Living Will Procedure.
- (a) Application for an instruction permit or for a driver's license must be made on a form furnished by the department and
must be accompanied by the fee required under AS 28.15.271
- (b) An application under (a) of this section must
- (1) contain the applicant's full legal name, date and place of birth, sex, and mailing and residence addresses;
- (2) state whether the applicant has been previously licensed in the past 10 years as a driver and, if so, when and by what jurisdiction;
- (3) state whether any previous driver's license issued to the applicant has ever been suspended or revoked or whether an
application for a driver's license has ever been refused and, if so, the date of and reason for the suspension,
revocation, or refusal;
- (4) contain the applicant's social security number; the requirement of this paragraph only applies to an applicant who has
been issued a social security number; and
- (5) contain other information that the department may reasonably require to determine the applicant's identity,
competency, and eligibility.
- (c) When an application is received from a person previously licensed in another jurisdiction, the department may request
a copy of the applicant's driving record from the other jurisdiction. Upon receipt of that record by the department,
it becomes a part of the driver's record in this state with the same effect as if the record originated in this state.
- (d) An employee of the department who processes a driver's license application, other than
an application received by mail, shall ask the applicant orally whether the applicant wishes to execute an anatomical
gift. The department shall make known to all applicants the procedure for executing an anatomical gift under AS 13.52 (Health Care Decisions Act) by displaying posters in the
offices in which applications are taken, by providing a brochure or other written information to each person who
applies in person or by mail, and, if requested, by providing oral advice. The department shall inform each applicant
in writing that, if the applicant executes a gift under AS 13.52
and if the gift is made with the driver's license application, the department will transmit the information on the
license to a donor registry created under AS 13.50.110
. The department shall also direct the applicant to notify a procurement organization or the department under AS 13.50.140
if the license is destroyed or mutilated or the gift is revoked under AS 13.52.170
. The department shall carry out the requirements of AS 13.50.100
- (e) [Repealed, Sec. 17 ch 70 SLA 1984].
- (f) At the time of application for a driver's license or an instruction permit, or renewal of a driver's license or an
instruction permit, the department shall provide the applicant written information explaining the state's financial
responsibility and mandatory motor vehicle insurance laws and potential penalties for failure to comply with those
- (g) Upon request, the department shall provide a social security number provided under this section to the child support
services agency created in AS 25.27.010
, or the child support agency of another state, for child support purposes authorized by law.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.