Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 55. Housing, Public Buildings, Urban Renewal, and Regional Housing Authorities
- Section 480. Findings and Declaration of Necessity.
previous: Section 470
next: Section 490
. Legislative Intent.
AS 18.55.480. Findings and Declaration of Necessity.
The legislature finds and declares that
- (1) slum and blighted areas exist in localities throughout the state and they constitute a serious and growing menace,
injurious and inimical to the public health, safety, morals, and welfare of the residents of the state;
- (2) the existence of these slum and blighted areas contributes substantially and increasingly to the spread of disease and
crime, necessitating excessive and disproportionate expenditures of public funds for the preservation of the public
health and safety, for crime prevention, correction, prosecution, punishment, and the treatment of juvenile delinquency
and for the maintenance of adequate police, fire, and accident protection and other public services and facilities, and
constitutes an economic and social liability, substantially impairs or arrests the sound growth of municipalities, and
retards the provisions of housing accommodations;
- (3) this menace is beyond remedy and control solely by regulatory process in the exercise of the police power and cannot
be dealt with effectively by the ordinary operations of private enterprise without the aids provided in AS 18.55.480
- (4) the elimination of slum conditions or conditions of blight, the acquisition and preparation of land in or necessary to
the redevelopment of slum or blighted areas and its sale or lease for development or redevelopment in accordance with
comprehensive plans and redevelopment plans of municipalities, and any assistance that may be given by any public body
in connection therewith are public uses and purposes for which public money may be expended and private property
- (5) the necessity in the public interest for the provisions of AS 18.55.480 - 18.55.960 is a matter for legislative determination.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.