(a) The commissioner or a designee may issue a permit, subject to the restrictions imposed by statute or regulation under AS 16.10.400 — 16.10.470, to a nonprofit corporation organized under AS 10.20, after the permit application has been reviewed by the regional planning team, for
(1) the construction and operation of a salmon hatchery;
(2) the operation of a hatchery under AS 16.10.480.
(b) The application for a permit under this section shall be on a form prescribed by the department and be accompanied by an application fee of $100. The commissioner may waive the submission of an application for a permit to operate a hatchery under AS 16.10.480.
(c) A hatchery permit is nontransferable. If a permit holder sells or leases a hatchery for which a permit is issued under this section, the new operator shall apply for a new permit under this section.
(d) [Repealed, § 19 ch 154 SLA 1977.]
(e) A qualified regional association formed under AS 16.10.380, if it has become a nonprofit corporation under AS 10.20, has a preference right to a permit under (a)(1) of this section if its proposed hatchery is provided for in the comprehensive plan for that region developed under AS 16.10.375 and the fresh water source exceeds one cubic foot per second minimum flow. Another local nonprofit hatchery corporation approved by a qualified regional association has an identical preference right.
(f) Except for permits issued before June 16, 1976, a permit may not be issued for construction or operation of a hatchery on an anadromous fish stream unless the stream has been classified as suitable for enhancement purposes by the commissioner. The commissioner shall undertake to make such classifications in conjunction with the development of the comprehensive plan under AS 16.10.375.
(g) During the development of a comprehensive plan for a region a permit may not be issued for a hatchery unless the commissioner determines that the action would result in substantial public benefits and would not jeopardize natural stocks.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 16.10.010. Interference with salmon spawning streams and waters.
- Sec. 16.10.020. Grounds for permit or license.
- Sec. 16.10.040. Disposition of money received for fines and penalties.
- Sec. 16.10.050. Construction of AS 16.10.010
- Sec. 16.10.055. Interference with commercial fishing gear. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.070. Operation of fish traps.
- Sec. 16.10.080. Federal compact exempted.
- Sec. 16.10.090. Penalty for violation of AS 16.10.070
- Sec. 16.10.100. Erection of fish traps prohibited on land or water owned by state.
- Sec. 16.10.110. Penalty for violation of AS 16.10.100
- Sec. 16.10.120. Use of drum or reel in operation of purse seine.
- Sec. 16.10.125. Use of termination device on shellfish and bottom fish pot required.
- Sec. 16.10.130. Penalty for violation of AS 16.10.120 Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.164. Policy on utilization of pollock.
- Sec. 16.10.172. Legislative policy on utilization of herring.
- Sec. 16.10.175. Removal of herring from state.
- Sec. 16.10.180. Legislative findings.
- Sec. 16.10.190. Regulations.
- Sec. 16.10.200. Unlawful taking prohibited.
- Sec. 16.10.210. Unlawful sale or offer prohibited.
- Sec. 16.10.220. Penalty for violation of AS 16.10.200
- Sec. 16.10.230. Exemptions.
- Sec. 16.10.240. Transportation of Live Crab.
- Sec. 16.10.250. Penalty.
- Sec. 16.10.265. Purchase of fish from permit holders.
- Sec. 16.10.267. Possession of permit and identification by seller.
- Sec. 16.10.269. Limitations.
- Sec. 16.10.275. Regulations. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.280. Price disputes between fishermen and fish processors. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.294. Administrative and judicial orders. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.296. Definitions.
- Sec. 16.10.300. Declaration of policy.
- Sec. 16.10.310. Powers of the department. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.320. Limitations on loans. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.325. Guarantors. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.333. Loans for purchase of Alaska limited entry permits. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.335. Default and foreclosure.
- Sec. 16.10.337. Deficiencies and transfer of entry permits after foreclosure. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.339. Regulations.
- Sec. 16.10.342. Foreclosure expense account. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.345. Community quota entity revolving loan fund.
- Sec. 16.10.350. Administration of fund.
- Sec. 16.10.353. Waiver of confidentiality.
- Sec. 16.10.355. Disposal of property acquired by default or foreclosure.
- Sec. 16.10.360. Definitions.
- Sec. 16.10.370. Short title.
- Sec. 16.10.375. Regional salmon plans.
- Sec. 16.10.380. Regional associations.
- Sec. 16.10.410. Hearings before permit issuance.
- Sec. 16.10.420. Conditions of a permit.
- Sec. 16.10.430. Alteration, suspension, or revocation of permit.
- Sec. 16.10.440. Regulations relating to released fish.
- Sec. 16.10.443. Department assistance and cooperation.
- Sec. 16.10.445. Egg sources.
- Sec. 16.10.450. Sale of salmon and salmon eggs: use of proceeds; quality and price.
- Sec. 16.10.455. Cost recovery fisheries.
- Sec. 16.10.460. Inspection of hatchery.
- Sec. 16.10.470. Annual report. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.480. Contracts for the operation of state hatcheries.
- Sec. 16.10.500. Declaration of policy.
- Sec. 16.10.505. Fisheries enhancement revolving loan fund.
- Sec. 16.10.507. Foreclosure expense account.
- Sec. 16.10.510. Powers and duties of the commissioner.
- Sec. 16.10.520. Limitation on loans.
- Sec. 16.10.525. Repayment of principal and interest on loans. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.540. Voluntary assessment on sale of salmon. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.555. Disposal of property acquired by default or foreclosure.
- Sec. 16.10.560. Definitions.
- Sec. 16.10.570. Chitina dip net fishery. Repealed
- Sec. 16.10.750. Findings and purpose.
- Sec. 16.10.760. Trafficking in intercepted salmon.
- Sec. 16.10.770. Falsification related to high seas interception of salmon.
- Sec. 16.10.780. Assisting a vessel in high seas interception of salmon.
- Sec. 16.10.790. Fines.
- Sec. 16.10.800. Definitions.
- Sec. 16.10.805. Powers and duties of the department.
- Sec. 16.10.810. Eligibility.
- Sec. 16.10.815. Limitations on loans.
- Sec. 16.10.820. Default.
- Sec. 16.10.825. Special account established.
- Sec. 16.10.830. Disposal of property acquired after default.
- Sec. 16.10.835. Waiver of confidentiality.
- Sec. 16.10.840. Definitions.
- Sec. 16.10.900. Mariculture revolving loan fund.
- Sec. 16.10.905. Powers and duties of the department.
- Sec. 16.10.910. Eligibility.
- Sec. 16.10.915. Limitations on loans.
- Sec. 16.10.920. Repayment of principal of and interest on loans.
- Sec. 16.10.925. Default.
- Sec. 16.10.930. Special account established.
- Sec. 16.10.935. Disposal of property acquired after default.
- Sec. 16.10.940. Waiver of confidentiality.
- Sec. 16.10.945. Definitions.