Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 16. Fish and Game
- Chapter 10. Fisheries and Fishing Regulations
- Section 480. Contracts For the Operation of State Hatcheries.
previous: Section 475
. Definitions. [Repealed, Sec. 32 Ch 14 SLA 1987].
next: Section 500
. Declaration of Policy.
AS 16.10.480. Contracts For the Operation of State Hatcheries.
- (a) If the department determines that it is unable to continue operating a state-owned hatchery or that it is in the best
interest of the state to provide for the operation of the hatchery by another person or by another person in
cooperation with the state, the department may enter into a contract for the operation or cooperative operation of the
- (b) Notwithstanding AS 36.30, when selecting a contractor under (a)
of this section, the department shall give a preference to the regional association organized under AS 16.10.380
that is located in the region in which the hatchery is located. If the department determines that the preferred
regional association does not meet the criteria established by the department for the contract, the department may not
award the contract to the preferred regional association and shall procure the contract under AS 36.30 after considering the recommendations of the preferred
- (c) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a contract entered into under this section must provide that the
hatchery will be operated under AS 16.10.400
- 16.10.470 and the regulations adopted under those
- (d) The department may issue to a contractor who operates a hatchery under this section a permit to harvest adult salmon
during the term of the contract at locations designated by the department. The contractor shall use funds received from
the sale of adult salmon harvested under the permit to recover all or part of the costs of operating the hatchery and
may use the remaining funds for improvements to the hatchery or other salmon enhancement or rehabilitation projects,
fisheries research, or the contractor's reasonable operating or administrative costs in the region in which the
hatchery is located including debt retirement or for other fisheries activities of the contractor.
- (e) A contract under this section for the operation of a hatchery may not affect the state's ownership of the hatchery and
does not affect the state's responsibility to manage the resource.
- (f) The operation of a hatchery under a contract authorized by this section shall be conducted in accordance with the
fisheries management and production goals of the department, and must be consistent with the comprehensive regional
salmon plan approved under AS 16.10.375
. During the term of the contract, the department may order changes in the operation of the hatchery that are necessary
to ensure consistency with the production goals of the comprehensive regional salmon plan. The contract must specify
the species to be raised and the production goals for each species, and these specifications must comply with the
comprehensive regional salmon plan. The department may terminate a contract if the contractor fails to operate the
hatchery in accordance with the requirements established by and under this subsection.
Article 10. FISHERIES ENHANCEMENT LOAN PROGRAM
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.