Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 4. Alcoholic Beverages
- Chapter 11. Licensing
- Section 507. Procedure For Local Option Elections.
previous: Section 506
. Notice of the Results of a Local Option Election. [Repealed, Sec. 69 Ch 101 SLA 1995].
next: Section 508
. Establishment of Perimeter of Established Village.
AS 04.11.507. Procedure For Local Option Elections.
- (a) Elections to adopt a local option under AS 04.11.491
, change a local option under AS 04.11.493
, or remove a local option under AS 04.11.495, shall
be conducted as required in this section.
- (b) Upon receipt of a petition of a number of registered voters equal to 35 percent or more of the number of votes cast at
the last regular municipal election, the local governing body of a municipality shall place upon a separate ballot at
the next regular election, or at a special election, whichever local option, change in local option, or removal of
local option constitutes the subject of the petition. The local governing body shall conduct the election under the
election ordinance of the municipality.
- (c) Upon receipt of a petition of 35 percent or more of the registered voters residing within an established village, the
lieutenant governor shall place upon a separate ballot at a special election the local option, change in local option,
or removal of local option that constitutes the subject of the petition. The lieutenant governor shall conduct the
election under AS 15.
- (d) A petition filed with the local governing body of a municipality under (b) of this section, that places on the ballot
the option set out in AS 04.11.491
(a)(5), constitutes a proposed ordinance of the municipality.
- (e) AS 29.26.110
- 29.26.160 apply to a petition under (b) of this
section in a general law municipality except the
- (1) number of required signatures is determined under (b) of this section rather than under AS 29.26.130
- (2) application filed under AS 29.26.110
must at least contain language substantially similar to the questions set out under AS 04.11.491 - 04.11.495 rather than containing an ordinance or
- (3) petition must at least contain language substantially similar to the questions set out under AS 04.11.491
- 04.11.495 rather than material required under AS 29.26.120
(a)(1) and (2).
- (f) Notwithstanding any other provisions of law, an election under (b) or (c) of this section to remove a local option or
to change to a less restrictive option than the local option previously adopted under AS 04.11.491 may not
be conducted during the first 24 months after the local option was adopted or
more than once in a 36-month period.
- (g) Notwithstanding AS 29.26.140
(a), after a petition has been certified as sufficient to meet the requirements of (b) or (c) of this section, another
petition may not be filed or certified until after the question presented in the first petition has been voted on. Only
one local option question may be presented in an election.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.