Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 56. State and Community Libraries
- Section 30. State Library Duties.
previous: Section 20
. Powers of the Department of Education and Early Development.
next: Section 35
. Accounting and Disposition of Fees. [Repealed, Sec. 92 Ch 36 SLA 1990].
AS 14.56.030. State Library Duties.
The department shall undertake state library functions that will benefit the state and its citizens, including
- (1) coordinating library services of the state with other educational services and agencies to increase effectiveness and
- (2) providing reference library service to state and other public officials;
- (3) providing library services and administering state and other grants-in-aid to public libraries to supplement and
improve their services, the grants to be paid from funds appropriated for that purpose, or from other funds available
for that purpose;
- (4) providing library service directly to areas in which there is not sufficient population or local revenue to support
independent library units;
- (5) distributing financial aid to public libraries for extension of library service to surrounding areas and to improve
inadequate local library service under regulations adopted by the department;
- (6) offering consultant service on library matters to state and municipal libraries, community libraries, school
libraries, and libraries in unincorporated communities;
- (7) serving as a depository for state and federal publications concerning Alaska;
- (8) applying for, receiving, and spending, in accordance with AS 37.07 (the Executive Budget Act), federal, state, or private funds
available for library purposes;
- (9) recording and distributing the election pamphlet provided for by AS 15.58 to libraries throughout the state for use by blind voters;
- (10) establishing and charging fees for reproduction, printing, and handling costs, for mailing and distributing state
publications and research data, and for other services authorized by this chapter;
- (11) operating and maintaining the Alaska State Archives under AS 40.21.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.