- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions
- Chapter 18. Programs and Services Related to Adolescents
- Section 200. Peer Counselor Program.
previous: Section 140
. Promotion of Program and Projects.
next: Section 300
. Program Authorized.
AS 47.18.200. Peer Counselor Program.
- (a) The department shall develop and implement a continuing statewide program of technical support and assistance to
encourage school districts, municipalities, and nonprofit corporations incorporated under AS 10.20 that initiate implementation, or that are considering
implementation, of adolescent peer counseling groups under adult supervision for
- (1) prevention of adolescent behavioral patterns that jeopardize physical and mental health and that hamper social,
educational, and personal development; and
- (2) spreading information about services that are available to adolescents to help them with their health needs.
- (b) The program of technical support required under (a) of this section must include
- (1) suggested methods for maintaining a high level of adolescent, parental, and community support for peer counseling
- (2) workshops, seminars, or other training opportunities for adolescent peer counselors and their adult leaders; this
training must include sessions to
- (A) develop interpersonal communications skills;
- (B) teach accurate health information, emphasizing sexual development;
- (C) provide information about services that are available in the peer counselors' areas and how those services can be
obtained for pregnancy prevention, and prenatal care; and
- (D) encourage adolescents to avoid major risk-taking behavior and to reinforce responsible behavior and self control;
- (3) assistance in selecting appropriate resource materials for the groups;
- (4) recommended mechanisms for effectively monitoring and evaluating the activities and accomplishments of the groups; and
- (5) other similar services to assist and encourage school districts and municipalities in establishing and administering
adolescent peer counseling groups.
- (c) In developing the program of technical support and assistance required under (a) of this section, the department shall
review and consider the activities and accomplishments in other states that have developed peer counseling networks.
The department shall solicit contributions of money and expertise from the private sector that may be available for
this type of program.
Article 05. FOSTER CARE TRANSITION PROGRAM
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.