- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation
- Chapter 15. Water Use Act
- Section 20. Authority and Duties of the Commissioner.
previous: Section 10
. Determination of Water Rights.
next: Section 30
. Water Reserved to the People.
AS 46.15.020. Authority and Duties of the Commissioner.
- (a) The commissioner shall exercise all those powers and do all those acts necessary to carry out the provisions and
objectives of this chapter. The commissioner may
- (1) subject to AS 36.30 (State Procurement Code), enter into
contractual agreements necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter including agreements with federal, state,
and local agencies;
- (2) apply for, accept, administer, and expend grants, gifts, and loans from the federal government and any other public or
private sources for the purposes of this chapter, and adopt procedures and do acts not otherwise restricted by law
which are necessary to qualify the state to receive grants, gifts, and loans;
- (3) establish a division of water in the Department of Natural Resources and assign to that division the responsibility
for carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
- (b) The commissioner shall
- (1) adopt procedural and substantive regulations to carry out the provisions of this chapter, taking into consideration
the responsibilities of the Department of Environmental Conservation under AS 46.03 and the Department of Fish and Game under AS 16;
- (2) develop and maintain a standardized procedure for processing applications and the issuance of authorizations, permits,
and certifications under this chapter; shall keep a public record of all applications for permits and certificates and
other documents filed in the commissioner's office; shall record all permits and certificates and amendments and orders
affecting them and shall index them in accordance with the source of the water and the name of the applicant or
appropriator; shall require that temporary water use authorizations are valid only to the extent that the water
withdrawal and use complies with applicable requirements of AS 41.14.870
; and shall make the record of applications, including temporary water use applications under AS 46.15.155 that have been accepted as complete,
authorizations, permits, certificates, amendments, and orders affecting them available to the public on the Internet;
- (3) cooperate with, assist, advise, and coordinate plans with the federal, state, and local agencies, including local soil
and water conservation districts, in matters relating to the appropriation, use, conservation, quality, disposal, or
control of waters and activities related thereto;
- (4) prescribe fees or service charges for any public service rendered consistent with AS 37.10.050
- 37.10.058, except that the department may charge
under regulations adopted by the department an annual $50 administrative service fee to maintain the water management
program and a water conservation fee under AS 46.15.035
- (5) before February 1 of each year, prepare a report describing the activities of the commissioner under AS 46.15.035
and 46.15.037; the commissioner shall notify the
legislature that the report is available; the report must include
- (A) information on the number of applications and appropriations for the removal of water from one hydrological unit to
another that were requested and that were granted and on the amounts of water involved;
- (B) information on the number and location of sales of water conducted by the commissioner and on the volume of water
- (C) recommendations of the commissioner for changes in state water law; and
- (D) a description of state revenue and expenses related to activities under AS 46.15.035
Article 02. APPROPRIATION AND USE OF WATER
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.