- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation
- Chapter 8. Oil and Hazardous Substance Releases
- Section 70. Reimbursement For Containment and Cleanup.
previous: Section 60
next: Section 75
. Liens Against Property as Security For State Expenditures.
AS 46.08.070. Reimbursement For Containment and Cleanup.
- (a) The commissioner shall seek reimbursement promptly under this section, AS 46.03.760
(d), or federal law for the cost incurred in the cleanup or containment of oil or a hazardous substance that has been
- (b) The attorney general, at the request of the commissioner, shall immediately seek to recover money expended by the
department under AS 46.08.005 - 46.08.080 or other law to contain and clean up oil or a
hazardous substance that has been released or to control the threatened release of oil or a hazardous substance.
- (c) The department shall reimburse a municipality or village for actual expenses, other than normal operating expenses,
incurred in the abatement of a release or threatened release and may advance money to a municipality or village to
carry out an emergency first response to a release or threatened release of oil or a hazardous substance if
- (1) the municipality or village has entered into an agreement with the commissioner under AS 46.04.020
(e) or AS 46.09.020
- (2) the commissioner determines that
- (A) the expenses to be reimbursed were for a necessary emergency first response to a release or threatened release that,
at the time of the release or threatened release, posed an imminent and substantial threat to the public health or
welfare, or to the environment;
- (B) the municipality or village has demonstrated a need for financial assistance, and the money to be advanced is
necessary to enable the municipality or village to carry out an emergency first response to a release or threatened
release that, at the time of the release or threatened release, poses an imminent and substantial threat to the public
health or welfare, or to the environment; and
- (C) containment and cleanup efforts paid for in whole or in part by a reimbursement or an advance made under this section
were consistent with the regional master plan for the region in which the municipality or village is located if a plan
has been prepared by the department under AS 46.04.210
- (d) The department shall adopt regulations to implement the cost recovery requirements of (a) and (b) of this section, but
may not delay cost recovery actions pending the effective date of the adoption of the regulations.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.