- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation
- Chapter 3. Environmental Conservation
- Section 299. Hazardous Waste Regulations.
previous: Section 296
. Disposal of Hazardous Wastes.
next: Section 300
. Exceptions. [Repealed, Sec. 12 Ch 172 SLA 1978].
AS 46.03.299. Hazardous Waste Regulations.
- (a) The department shall adopt regulations under AS 44.62
(Administrative Procedure Act) for the identification and management of hazardous waste as defined by the Environmental
Protection Agency and hazardous waste that exhibits the characteristic of toxicity, persistence, or carcinogenicity.
- (b) Regulations adopted under (a) of this section must exempt from their coverage mining waste and waste associated with
the exploration, development, or production of crude oil, natural gas, or geothermal energy until studies required
under 42 U.S.C. 6982(f) and (m) are completed. The department, after considering the findings in the reports of these
studies, may terminate or amend the exemptions.
- (c) The department shall take all actions necessary to receive authorization from the administrator of the Environmental
Protection Agency to administer and enforce a hazardous waste program in accordance with 42 U.S.C. 6901 - 6987
(Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976).
- (d) Regulations adopted under (a) of this section shall cover (1) hazardous waste, not otherwise exempted by law, that is
generated in any month by a single generator in an amount of 220 pounds or more, and (2) acute hazardous wastes
identified in 40 C.F.R. 261.33(e), not otherwise exempted by law, that are generated in any month by a single generator
in an amount of 2.2 pounds or more. The department shall extend the regulations to manage smaller quantities of
hazardous waste if the quantities specified in this subsection exceed the quantities regulated under the authority of
42 U.S.C. 6921 - 6934, as amended. The department may at any time extend coverage of regulations adopted under (a) of
this section to small quantities of hazardous waste and acute hazardous waste.
- (e) [Repealed, Sec. 61 ch 50 SLA 1989].
- (f) [Repealed, Sec. 4 ch 88 SLA 1990].
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.