- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 50. Competitive Practices, Regulation of Competition, and Consumer Protection
- Section 577. Enforcement By Attorney General.
previous: Section 576
. Suits By Persons Injured; Treble Damages; Costs.
next: Section 578
. Certain Violations Constitute Misdemeanor.
AS 45.50.577. Enforcement By Attorney General.
- (a) The attorney general may bring a civil action in superior court to secure monetary relief as provided in this section
on behalf of the state and its agencies injured either directly or indirectly by reason of any violation of AS 45.50.562
- (b) The attorney general may bring a civil action in superior court in the name of the state, as parens patriae on behalf
of governmental entities or persons doing business or residing in this state, to secure monetary relief as provided in
this section for injuries directly or indirectly sustained by persons by reason of any violation of AS 45.50.562 - 45.50.570.
- (c) The court shall exclude from the amount of monetary relief awarded in an action under (a) or (b) of this section any
amount of monetary relief that
- (1) duplicates amounts that have been awarded for the same injury; or
- (2) is properly allocable to persons who have excluded their claims under (e) of this section.
- (d) The court shall award the attorney general as monetary relief three times the total damage sustained as described in
(a) or (b) of this section and, additionally, the costs of the action, including reasonable attorney fees.
- (e) In any action brought under (b) of this section, the attorney general, at the times, in the manner, and with the
content the court directs, shall cause notice of the action to be given by publication. Any governmental entity or
person on whose behalf an action is brought under (b) of this section may elect to exclude from civil action the
portion of the state claim for monetary relief attributable to that governmental entity or person by filing notice of
the election with the court within the time specified in the attorney general's notice given in accordance with this
- (f) The final judgment in an action under (a) or (b) of this section is res judicata as to any claim under AS 45.50.576
by any governmental entity or person on whose behalf the action was brought and who fails to give notice of election
to exclude under (e) of this section within the period specified in the attorney general's notice given under (e) of
- (g) An action under (b) of this section may not be dismissed or compromised without the approval of the court, and notice
of any proposed dismissal or compromise shall be given by publication at the times, in the manner, and with the content
the court directs in accordance with (e) of this section and AS 45.50.584
- (h) Monetary relief recovered in an action under this section shall be (1) distributed in the manner the court, in its
discretion, authorizes; or (2) deemed a civil penalty by the court and deposited in the general fund, and may be
appropriated to the Alaska permanent fund (AS 37.13.010(a)) or for any other public purpose. A
distribution procedure authorized by the court under this subsection must afford each governmental entity or person
participating in the civil action a reasonable opportunity to secure that entity's or person's appropriate portion of
the net monetary relief.
- (i) Only the attorney general, in a suit brought under this section, may seek monetary relief for injury indirectly
sustained for a violation of AS 45.50.562
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.