- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 7. Warehouse Receipts, Bills of Lading, and Other Documents of Title
- Section 309. Duty of Care; Contractual Limitation of Carrier's Liability.
previous: Section 308
. Enforcement of Carrier's Lien.
next: Section 401
. Irregularities in Issue of Receipt or Bill or Conduct of Issuer.
AS 45.07.309. Duty of Care; Contractual Limitation of Carrier's Liability.
- (a) A carrier who issues a bill of lading, whether negotiable or nonnegotiable, must exercise the degree of care in
relation to the goods that a reasonably careful man would exercise under like circumstances. This subsection does not
repeal or change any law or rule of law that imposes liability upon a common carrier for damages not caused by its
- (b) Damages may be limited by a provision that the carrier's liability shall not exceed a value stated in the document if
the carrier's rates are dependent upon value and the consignor by the carrier's tariff is afforded an opportunity to
declare a higher value or a value as lawfully provided in the tariff, or if no tariff is filed the consigner is
otherwise advised of this opportunity; but no such limitation is effective with respect to the carrier's liability for
conversion to its own use.
- (c) Reasonable provisions as to the time and manner of presenting claims and instituting actions based on the shipment may
be included in a bill of lading or tariff.
Article 04. WAREHOUSE RECEIPTS AND BILLS OF LADING: GENERAL OBLIGATIONS
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.