- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 4. Bank Deposits and Collections
- Section 103. Variation By Agreement; Measure of Damages; Certain Action Constituting Ordinary Care.
previous: Section 102
next: Section 104
. Definitions and Index of Definitions.
AS 45.04.103. Variation By Agreement; Measure of Damages; Certain Action Constituting Ordinary Care.
- (a) The effect of this chapter may be varied by agreement, but the parties to the agreement may not disclaim a bank's
responsibility for its lack of good faith or failure to exercise ordinary care or limit the measure of damages for the
lack or failure. However, the parties may determine by agreement the standards by which the bank's responsibility is to
be measured if the standards are not manifestly unreasonable.
- (b) Federal Reserve regulations and operating circulars, clearinghouse rules, and the like have the effect of agreements
under (a) of this section, whether or not specifically assented to by all parties interested in items handled.
- (c) Action or nonaction approved by this chapter or under Federal Reserve regulations or operating circulars is the
exercise of ordinary care and, in the absence of special instructions, action or nonaction consistent with
clearinghouse rules and the like or with a general banking usage not disapproved by this chapter is prima facie the
exercise of ordinary care.
- (d) The specification or approval of certain procedures by this chapter is not disapproval of other procedures that may be
reasonable under the circumstances.
- (e) The measure of damages for failure to exercise ordinary care in handling an item is the amount of the item reduced by
an amount that could not have been realized by the exercise of ordinary care, and if there is also bad faith it
includes any other damages the party suffered as a proximate consequence.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.