- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 44. State Government
- Chapter 83. Alaska Energy Authority
- Section 90. Power Contracts and the Regulatory Commission of Alaska.
previous: Section 80
. Powers of the Authority.
next: Section 92
. Authority For Municipalities and Utilities to Enter Into Power Sales Contracts.
AS 44.83.090. Power Contracts and the Regulatory Commission of Alaska.
- (a) The authority shall, in addition to the other methods that it may find advantageous, provide a method by which
municipal electric, rural electric, cooperative electric, or private electric utilities and regional electric
authorities, or other persons authorized by law to engage in the distribution of electricity may secure a reasonable
share of the power generated by a project, or any interest in a project, or for any right to the power and shall sell
the power or cause the power to be sold at the lowest reasonable prices that cover the full cost of the electricity or
services, including capital and operating costs, debt coverage as considered appropriate by the authority, and other
charges that may be authorized by this chapter. Except for a contract or lease entered into under former AS 44.83.380
- 44.83.425, a contract or lease for the sale,
transmission, and distribution of power generated by a project or any right to the capacity of it shall provide:
- (1) for payment of all operating and maintenance expenses of a project and costs of renewals, replacements, and
improvements of it;
- (2) for interest on and amortization charges sufficient to retire bonds of the authority issued for the project and
reserves for them, plus a debt service coverage factor as may be determined by the authority to be necessary for the
marketability of its bonds;
- (3) for monitoring of the project by the authority or its agents;
- (4) for full and complete disclosure to the authority of all factors of costs in the transmission and distribution of
power, so that rates to any persons may be fixed initially in the contract or lease and may be adjusted from time to
time on the basis of true cost data;
- (5) for periodic revisions of the service and rates to persons on the basis of accurate cost data obtained by the
accounting methods and systems approved by the directors and in furtherance and effectuation of the policy declared in
- (6) for the cancellation and termination of a contract or lease upon violation of its terms by any person;
- (7) for security for performance as the authority may consider practicable and advisable, including provisions assuring
the continuance of the distribution and transmission of power generated by a project and the use of its facilities for
these purposes; and
- (8) other terms not inconsistent with the provisions and policy of this chapter as the authority may consider advisable.
- (b) The authority is not subject to the jurisdiction of the Regulatory Commission of Alaska. Nothing in this chapter
grants the authority jurisdiction over the services or rates of a public utility or diminishes or otherwise alters the
jurisdiction of the Regulatory Commission of Alaska with respect to a public utility, including any right the
commission may have to review and approve or disapprove contracts for the purchase of electricity by a public utility
other than wholesale agreements and contracts described in AS 42.05.431(c)(1).
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.