- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 44. State Government
- Chapter 29. Department of Health and Social Services
- Section 20. Duties of Department.
previous: Section 10
. Commissioner of Health and Social Services.
next: Section 22
. Fees For Department Services.
AS 44.29.020. Duties of Department.
- (a) The Department of Health and Social Services shall administer the state programs of public health and social services,
- (1) maternal and child health services;
- (2) preventive medical services;
- (3) public health nursing services;
- (4) nutrition services;
- (5) health education;
- (6) laboratories;
- (7) mental health treatment and diagnosis;
- (8) management of state institutions, except for adult penal institutions;
- (9) medical facilities;
- (10) adult public assistance;
- (11) Alaska temporary assistance program;
- (12) child welfare services;
- (13) general relief;
- (14) a comprehensive smoking education, tobacco use prevention, and tobacco control program; to the maximum extent
possible, the department shall administer the program required under this paragraph by grant or contract with one or
more organizations in the state; the department's program must include
- (A) a community-based tobacco use prevention and cessation component addressing the needs of youth and adults that
includes use of cessation aids such as a nicotine patch or a nicotine gum tobacco substitute;
- (B) youth-based efforts that involve youth in the design and implementation of tobacco control efforts;
- (C) anti-tobacco counter-marketing targeting both youth and adult populations designed to communicate messages to help
prevent youth initiation of tobacco use, promote cessation among tobacco users, and educate the public about the lethal
effects of exposure to secondhand smoke;
- (D) tobacco use surveys of youth and adult populations concerning knowledge, awareness, attitude, and use of tobacco
- (E) an enforcement component;
- (15) the Alaska Pioneers' Home and the Alaska Veterans' Home;
- (16) [Repealed Sec. 25 ch 59 SLA 2004].
- (17) licensure and regulation of child care facilities.
- (b) The Department of Health and Social Services shall comply with AS 15.07.055 to serve as a voter registration agency to the
extent required by state and federal law, including 42 U.S.C. 1973gg (National Voter Registration Act of 1993).
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.