- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 44. State Government
- Chapter 21. Department of Administration
- Section 315. Telecommunications Services.
previous: Section 310
. Telecommunications Powers and Duties.
next: Section 320
. Telecommunications Operations.
AS 44.21.315. Telecommunications Services.
- (a) In accordance with the state information systems plan adopted by the commissioner and with
the departmental information systems plan, the department shall provide
- (1) technical consultation to educational and public telecommunications users;
- (2) coordination and support to telecommunications services for instruction, including technical assistance and assistance
in preparation of applications for grants related to program development as may be requested by
- (A) public school districts and the Department of Education and Early Development;
- (B) the University of Alaska; and
- (C) other state agencies as approved by the commissioner;
- (3) coordination and support for health and safety-related functions, including the administrative and client services
provided by state, federal, and private agencies;
- (4) coordination and support to telecommunications services for public participation in state-financed services, including
the public hearing process, as may be statutorily required or otherwise appropriate;
- (5) assistance, through design, development, and promotion, to local school districts or other local and regional
education agencies for the regionalization of instructional telecommunications services;
- (6) establishment of operational policies for public telecommunications services other than public broadcasting; and
- (7) assistance to the Alaska Public Broadcasting Commission and any commission-designated subcommitteees, as necessary to
perform assigned department functions; the department shall cooperate with the commission and subcommittees in order to
develop policies which are responsive to the user groups which are represented on the commission.
- (b) Subject to available funding, the department may make grants to educational and public telecommunication users except
grants for public broadcasting purposes.
- (c) The department shall study, plan, and develop integrated instructional telecommunications services for all residents
of the state and, after public hearings, submit to the governor and the legislature an annually updated long-term
development plan prepared in consultation with the Department of Education and Early Development, the University of
Alaska, local school districts, and other local and regional education areas.
- (d) The department shall, after public hearings, submit to the governor an annually updated long-term development plan for
teleconferencing facilities and services, including facilities and services used both by state agencies and groups
other than state agencies.
- (e) The department may not own, operate, or be the licensee of a public noncommercial broadcast station or production
- (f) Nothing in this section implies department responsibility for programming content. Program design, production, and
use are the responsibility of the program-sponsoring agency or other entity, not the department.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.