- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 43. Revenue and Taxation
- Chapter 50. Tobacco Taxes and Sales
- Section 90. Tax Imposed.
previous: Section 80
. Returns. [Repealed, Sec. 20 Ch 109 SLA 2003].
next: Section 100
. Unlicensed Possession or Sale.
AS 43.50.090. Tax Imposed.
- (a) There is levied an excise tax of 38 mills on each cigarette imported or acquired in the state. The tax shall be paid
through the use of stamps as provided in AS 43.50.500
- 43.50.700. A person who imports or acquires
cigarettes in the state upon which a stamp required by this chapter has not been affixed in accordance with AS 43.50.500
- 43.50.700, who fails to apply to purchase stamps as
required by AS 43.50.540(a), and who fails to pay the
tax through the use of stamps is not relieved of the obligation to pay taxes due under this chapter. The person shall
still pay the tax, and the tax is due on or before the end of the month following the month in which cigarettes were
manufactured, imported, acquired, or sold in this state. Cigarettes upon which the excise is imposed are not again
subject to the excise when acquired by another person.
- (b) It is the intent and purpose of this section to provide for the collection of this excise from the person who first
acquires the cigarettes in this state.
- (c) The tax imposed under (a) of this section does not apply to cigarettes imported or acquired in the state by an
exchange, commissary, or ship's stores operated by one of the uniformed services of the United States as defined in 5
- (d) The tax imposed under (a) of this section does not apply to the first 400 cigarettes personally transported into the
state by an individual for that individual's personal consumption during the calendar month.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.