- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 43. Revenue and Taxation
- Chapter 50. Tobacco Taxes and Sales
- Section 540. Purchase of and Payment For Stamps.
previous: Section 530
. Sale of Stamps.
next: Section 550
. Deferred-Payment Basis For Stamps.
AS 43.50.540. Purchase of and Payment For Stamps.
- (a) A licensee shall apply to the department or a financial institution authorized under AS 43.50.530
(b) to purchase stamps required by AS 43.50.500
- (b) A licensee may authorize an agent or designee to purchase stamps for the licensee at a location where stamps are sold.
The licensee's authorization of an agent or designee must be in writing and must be signed by the licensee. The
licensee shall provide a copy of the authorization to the department. The authorization continues in effect until the
department receives the licensee's written notice of revocation of the authorization.
- (c) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, each stamp shall be sold to a licensee at its denominated value less
the discount provided in this subsection. The discount under this subsection is provided as compensation for affixing
stamps to packages as required by AS 43.50.500
- 43.50.700. The department may reduce or eliminate
the discount to a licensee under this subsection if the licensee fails to meet the requirements of AS 43.50.500
- 43.50.700. The discount under this subsection is
equal to the sum of the amounts calculated using the following percentages of denominated value of stamps purchased by
a licensee under this section in a calendar year:
- (1) $1,000,000 or less, three percent;
- (2) the amount that is more than $1,000,000 but not more than $2,000,000, two percent;
- (3) the amount that is over $2,000,000, zero percent.
- (d) Payment for stamps shall be made at the time of purchase, except that the department may permit a licensee to defer
payments as provided in AS 43.50.550
- (e) The licensee or the licensee's agent or designee must obtain the stamps in person from the department or a financial
institution authorized to sell stamps under AS 43.50.530
(b). Alternatively, the licensee may request in writing that the stamps be shipped or transported in a manner specified
by the licensee that is acceptable to the department. The department may accept only United States mail or common or
private carrier as a shipping or transportation method.
- (f) Title to the stamps passes immediately to the licensee at the time the stamps are obtained in person or, if the stamps
are shipped or transported, at the time the stamps are placed in the United States mail or received by the common or
private carrier. The licensee bears all costs associated with shipping or transporting the stamps. The department may
replace stamps lost or damaged in transit if the licensee provides proof acceptable to the department verifying that
the loss or damage occurred while the stamps were in the possession of the shipping company and the shipping company
substantiates the loss or damage. Damaged stamps must be returned to the department before the department may replace
- (g) Loss, destruction, or theft of stamps does not absolve the licensee of its obligation to make payment for the stamps,
including payment on a deferred-payment basis under AS 43.50.550
- (h) For purposes of the discount provided in (c) of this section, "stamps purchased by a licensee" includes stamps
purchased by affiliated licensees.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.