- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 43. Revenue and Taxation
- Chapter 23. Permanent Fund Dividends
- Section 67. Claims of Defaulted Education Loans.
previous: Section 66
. Claims On Reimbursement For Court-Ordered Treatment.
next: Section 68
. Claims On Defaulted Public Assistance Overpayment.
AS 43.23.067. Claims of Defaulted Education Loans.
- (a) AS 09.38 does not apply to a permanent fund dividend taken under
. Notwithstanding AS 09.35, the Alaska Commission on
Postsecondary Education may take a permanent fund dividend under AS 14.43.145 by delivering a claim to the department
certifying the following information:
- (1) the name and social security number of the individual whose dividend is being claimed;
- (2) the amount the individual owes on a loan awarded under AS 14.43;
- (3) a statement that the loan is in default under AS 14.43.145
, or, if the individual has requested review of the status of the loan under AS 14.43.145
(c), that a final determination has been made that the loan is in default.
- (b) The Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education shall notify the individual of a claim under (a) of this section. The
notice shall be sent to the address provided in the individual's permanent fund dividend application and must provide
the following information:
- (1) the amount of the claim;
- (2) notice that the amount of the permanent fund dividend up to the amount of the claim shall be paid to the Alaska
Commission on Postsecondary Education to be credited against the individual's loan balance; and
- (3) the individual's right to a hearing under (c) of this section.
- (c) Within 30 days after the date of the notice under (b) of this section, the individual may request a hearing. AS 44.62.330
- 44.62.630 apply to a hearing under this section. At
the hearing, the borrower has the burden to show that
- (1) the commission has not sent a notice of default in compliance with AS 14.43.145
- (2) the notice of default has been rescinded after review under AS 14.43.145(c); or
- (3) the amount owed by the borrower is less than the amount claimed from the permanent fund dividend.
- (d) If the amount owed by the borrower is determined under (c) of this section to be some amount greater than $0, but less
than the amount claimed, the commission may amend its claim to the amount determined to be owing.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.