- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 41. Public Resources
- Chapter 21. Parks and Recreational Facilities
- Section 610. Purpose of AS 41.21.610
previous: Section 522
. Acquisitions Authorized; Eminent Domain Prohibited.
next: Section 611
. Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve Established.
AS 41.21.610. Purpose of AS 41.21.610
- (a) The purpose of AS 41.21.610
- 41.21.630 is to establish the state-owned land and
water described in AS 41.21.611
(b) as the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve as part of the state park system. The primary purpose for establishing
the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve is to protect and perpetuate the Chilkat bald eagles and their essential
habitats within the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve in recognition of their statewide, nationally, and
internationally significant values in perpetuity.
- (b) The Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve is also established to
- (1) protect and sustain the natural salmon spawning and rearing areas of the Chilkat River and Chilkoot River systems
within the preserve in perpetuity;
- (2) provide continued opportunities for research, study and enjoyment of bald eagles and other wildlife;
- (3) ensure to the maximum extent practicable water quality and necessary water quantity under applicable laws;
- (4) provide for other public uses consistent with the primary purpose for which the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve is
- (5) provide an opportunity for the continued traditional and natural resource based lifestyle of the people living in the
general areas described in AS 41.21.611
(b), consistent with the other purposes of this subsection and (a) of this section.
- (c) It is the intent of the legislature in enacting AS 41.21.610
- 41.21.630 to provide sufficient protection for the
purposes for which the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve is established. Accordingly, the establishment of the Alaska
Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve and the Haines State Forest Resource Management Area under AS 41.15.305
is determined to represent a proper balance between the reservation of state public domain land and water for bald
eagle preserve purposes and state public domain land and water more appropriate for multiple use. Therefore, the
legislature determines that there is no need for legislation expanding or contracting the boundary of the Alaska
Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve in the future; the legislature further determines that study by a state agency of the
expansion or contracting of the boundary of the preserve shall be conducted under AS 41.21.621
- (d) Inasmuch as the area described in AS 41.21.611
(b) exceeds 640 acres, AS 41.21.610
- 41.21.630 are intended to close the area to
multiple use in conformity with AS 38.05.300
and the land is dedicated as a special purpose site under art. VIII, Sec. 7 of the state constitution.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.