- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 39. Public Officers and Employees
- Chapter 20. Compensation, Allowances, and Leave
- Section 140. Travel Costs and Travel Outside the State.
previous: Section 130
. Mileage Allowance.
next: Section 150
. Advances and Recovery.
AS 39.20.140. Travel Costs and Travel Outside the State.
- (a) The Department of Administration may not pay an official or employee for per diem or transportation costs unless the
travel is clearly necessary to benefit the state.
- (b) The Department of Administration may not reimburse an official or employee or pay for more than the lowest tourist
class fare for the most direct route unless
- (1) tourist class accommodation is not available;
- (2) waiting for tourist class accommodation would occasion a delay harmful to the state; or
- (3) the Department of Administration finds that travel by tourist class accommodation is not in the best interest of the
state, and authorizes other accommodation.
- (c) When the Department of Administration authorizes more expensive travel under (b) (3) of this section, it shall file a
justification for that authorization with the travel voucher. When fares other than tourist class are authorized under
(b) of this section, the Department of Administration may not reimburse the official or employee or pay for more than
the lowest first class fare available.
- (d) Officials and employees are authorized to travel only the least number of days necessary to transact the business
involved, to secure return passage, and to return.
- (e) Every official and employee shall, unless otherwise authorized by law to travel outside the state, obtain prior
approval for travel outside the state from the head of the official's or employee's department or from an immediate
supervisor, or from the Department of Administration if the official or employee is not within a department or is not
under the direct supervision of an official or supervisor. If an employee deviates materially from the travel
authorized under this section, the employee must obtain approval for the deviation from the person who approved the
travel before the Department of Administration may reimburse the employee for the travel.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.