- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 37. Public Finance
- Chapter 5. Fiscal Procedures Act
- Section 315. Grants to Municipalities.
previous: Section 310
. [Renumbered as AS 37.05.920
next: Section 316
. Grants to Named Recipients.
AS 37.05.315. Grants to Municipalities.
- (a) When an amount is appropriated or allocated as a grant to a municipality, the Department of Commerce, Community, and
Economic Development shall promptly notify the municipality of the availability of the grant. When the Department of
Commerce, Community, and Economic Development receives an agreement executed by the municipality that provides that the
municipality (1) will spend the grant for the purposes specified in the appropriation or allocation; (2) will allow, on
request, an audit by the state of the uses made of the grant; and (3) assures that, to the extent consistent with the
purpose of the appropriation or allocation, the facilities and services provided with the grant will be available for
the use of the general public, the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development shall pay the grant
directly to the municipality. The agreement executed by a municipality under this section shall be on a form furnished
by the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development and shall be executed within 60 days after the
effective date of the appropriation or allocation.
- (b) An appropriation or allocation for a grant to a municipality for construction of a public facility lapses if
substantial, ongoing work on the project has not begun within five years after the effective date of the appropriation
- (c) In accepting a grant of money for construction of a public facility, a municipality covenants with the state that it
will operate and maintain the facility for the practical life of the facility and that the municipality will not look
to the state to operate or maintain the facility or pay for its operation or maintenance. This requirement does not
apply to a grant of money for repair or improvement of an existing facility operated or maintained by the state at the
time the grant is accepted if the repair or improvement for which the grant is made will not substantially increase the
operating or maintenance costs to the state.
- (d) Not less than 20 percent of a grant shall be paid to a municipality within 10 days of the effective date of the
agreement under (a) of this section. The remainder of the grant shall be paid either in monthly installments equal to
the amount of grant money the municipality expended in the previous month or in a lump sum as determined by the
Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development.
- (e) The Department of Labor and Workforce Development shall require a municipality awarded a grant for a public works
project under (a) of this section to comply with the hiring preferences under AS 36.10.150
- 36.10.175 for employment generated by the grant.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.