- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 33. Probation, Prisons, and Prisoners
- Chapter 30. Prison Facilities and Prisoners
- Section 131. Prerelease or Short Duration Furlough or Correctional Restitution Center Placement Involving Employment.
previous: Section 130
. Duty of the Commissioner of Public Safety to Provide For Persons Pending Commitment. [Repealed, Sec. 12 Ch 88 SLA 1986].
next: Section 140
. Place of Service of Sentence By Prisoner. [Repealed, Sec. 12 Ch 88 SLA 1986].
AS 33.30.131. Prerelease or Short Duration Furlough or Correctional Restitution Center Placement Involving Employment.
- (a) The commissioner may grant a prerelease or short-duration furlough to permit a prisoner to participate in suitable
employment under conditions and at wages that represent the prevailing standard for the area. A prisoner may not
participate in employment where an organized labor dispute is in progress.
- (b) Unless alternative arrangements are expressly approved by the commissioner, when a prisoner is employed outside a
correctional facility as part of a prerelease or short-duration furlough program, or as part of serving time in a
correctional restitution center under AS 33.30.151 -
33.30.181, the earnings of the prisoner shall be
delivered to the commissioner. If an employer transmits the earnings to the commissioner, the employer has no liability
to the prisoner for the earnings. The commissioner shall disburse the earnings of the prisoner, in an order determined
appropriate, under procedures adopted by the commissioner to
- (1) pay for the room, board, and personal expenses of the prisoner in an amount or at a rate determined by the
- (2) pay any restitution or fine ordered by the sentencing court;
- (3) reimburse the state for an award made for violent crimes compensation under AS 18.67 arising out of the criminal conduct of the prisoner;
- (4) pay a civil judgment arising out of the criminal conduct of the prisoner; and
- (5) support the dependents of the prisoner, and to provide child support payments as required by AS 25.27.
- (c) After making the disbursements authorized under (b) of this section, the commissioner shall retain the balance
remaining in the account of the prisoner and give it to the prisoner upon release. The commissioner may permit the
prisoner to draw upon a portion of this money for other purposes that the commissioner considers appropriate.
- (d) Only the earnings retained by the commissioner under (c) of this section are subject to lien, attachment, garnishment,
execution, or other proceedings to encumber money or property.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.