Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 20. Municipal Officers and Employees
- Section 170. Vacancies.
previous: Section 160
. Procedures of Governing Bodies.
next: Section 180
. Filling a Vacancy.
AS 29.20.170. Vacancies.
The governing body may provide by ordinance the manner in which a vacancy occurs in any elected office except the
office of mayor or school board member. Unless otherwise provided by ordinance, the governing body shall declare an
elective office, other than the office of mayor or school board member, vacant when the person elected
- (1) fails to qualify or take office within 30 days after election or appointment;
- (2) is physically absent from the municipality for 90 consecutive days unless excused by the governing body;
- (3) resigns and the resignation is accepted;
- (4) is physically or mentally unable to perform the duties of office as determined by two-thirds vote of the governing
- (5) is convicted of a felony or of an offense involving a violation of the oath of office;
- (6) is convicted of a felony or misdemeanor described in AS 15.56
and two-thirds of the members of the governing body concur in expelling the person elected;
- (7) is convicted of a violation of AS 15.13;
- (8) no longer physically resides in the municipality and the governing body by two-thirds vote declares the seat vacant;
this paragraph does not apply to a member of the governing body who forfeits office under AS 29.20.140
- (9) if a member of the governing body, misses three consecutive regular meetings and is not excused.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.