Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 20. Municipal Officers and Employees
- Section 140. Qualifications.
previous: Section 130
. City Council Composition.
next: Section 150
. Term of Office.
AS 29.20.140. Qualifications.
- (a) A borough voter is eligible to be a member of the assembly and a city voter is eligible to be a member of the council.
A member of the governing body who ceases to be a voter in the municipality immediately forfeits office.
- (b) A municipality may by ordinance establish a durational residency requirement not to exceed three years for members of
the governing body.
- (c) A municipality may by ordinance establish district residency requirements for members of its governing body. A member
of the governing body who represents a district and who becomes a resident of another district in the municipality
continues to serve until the next regular election unless provided otherwise by ordinance.
- (d) Except by ordinance ratified by the voters, no limit may be placed on the total number of terms or number of
consecutive terms a voter may serve on the governing body.
- (e) This section applies to home rule and general law municipalities.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.