Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 22. Mandatory Motor Vehicle Insurance
- Section 11. Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Required; Exemptions.
previous: Section 10
. Motor Vehicle Liability Policy. [Repealed, Sec. 17 Ch 70 SLA 1984].
next: Section 19
. Proof of Insurance to Be Carried and Exhibited On Demand.
AS 28.22.011. Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Required; Exemptions.
- (a) The operator or owner of a motor vehicle subject to registration under AS 28.10.011
when driven on a highway, vehicular way or area, or on other public property in the state, shall be insured under a
motor vehicle liability policy that complies with this chapter or a certificate of self-insurance that complies with AS
- (1) the motor vehicle is being driven or moved on a highway, vehicular way, or a public parking place in the state that is
not connected by a land highway or vehicular way to
- (A) the land-connected state highway system, or
- (B) a highway or vehicular way with an average daily traffic volume greater than 499; and
- (2) the operator has not been cited within the preceding five years for a traffic law violation with a demerit point value
of six or more on the point schedule determined under regulations adopted by the department under AS 28.15.221
- (b) The department shall annually publish a list of areas that meet the requirements of (a)(1) of this section. This list
shall be available for public inspection at each office of the department.
- (c) In this section, "operator" does not include
- (1) an employee who operates, during the course and within the scope of employment, a motor vehicle that is owned or
leased by the operator's employer; or
- (2) an emergency service volunteer who operates, during the course and within the scope of responding to an emergency, a
motor vehicle not owned by the volunteer.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.