Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 55. Housing, Public Buildings, Urban Renewal, and Regional Housing Authorities
- Section 932. Urban Redevelopment or Urban Renewal in a Disaster Area.
previous: Section 930
. Powers of a Municipality to Control Use and Occupancy of Dwellings.
next: Section 934
. State Aid For An Urban Redevelopment or Urban Renewal Project in a Disaster Area.
AS 18.55.932. Urban Redevelopment or Urban Renewal in a Disaster Area.
- (a) Notwithstanding any other provisions in AS 18.55.480
- 18.55.960, when the legal governing body certifies
that an area is in need of redevelopment or urban renewal as a result of the earthquakes of 1964 and all results and
aftereffects respecting which the governor has certified the need for disaster assistance, the corporation may plan,
undertake, and carry out a redevelopment project or an urban renewal project in the disaster area and the area shall
constitute a slum or blighted area.
- (b) In connection with the carrying out of a project under this section, the corporation may, with the approval of the
local governing body and before the approval of the redevelopment plan or urban renewal plan, acquire real property in
the project area, demolish and remove any structure on the property, and pay all costs related to the acquisition,
demolition, or removal, including administrative or relocation expenses.
- (c) The governing body, when the corporation acquires land under (b) of this section, may assume the responsibility to
bear any loss that may result from the acquisition in the event that the real property is not made part of the project.
- (d) Real property acquired under this section that is not made a part of the project may be disposed of without regard to
if the local governing body has consented to the disposal.
- (e) The corporation, in carrying out a project under this section, may recommend to the local governing body a
redevelopment plan or an urban renewal plan without regard to the requirement in AS 18.55.530
(c) that a general plan for the physical development of the municipality has been prepared before the recommendation,
and the governing body may approve the plan without regard to the requirement in AS 18.55.530
(i) that the plan conform with the general plan for the physical development of the area.
- (f) For the purpose of this section, the corporation may file and use a declaration of taking and acquire real property as
provided in AS 09.55.420 - 09.55.460.
- (g) The provisions of this section apply whenever an area has been declared by the President of the United States to be a
disaster area and the legal governing body certifies that the need of the area for redevelopment or urban renewal has
been substantially increased as a result of the natural disaster and all results and aftereffects respecting which the
governor has also certified the need for disaster assistance.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.