Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 40. The University of Alaska, the Community Colleges, and the Alaska Aerospace Development Corporation
- Section 671. Participation.
previous: Section 670
. [Renumbered as AS 14.44.015
next: Section 680
. [Renumbered as AS 14.44.020
AS 14.40.671. Participation.
- (a) An employee in a participating position may elect to participate in a university retirement program or to
participate in the appropriate state retirement system. Eligibility to participate in a program begins on an
employee's appointment to a participating position.
- (b) An election under (a) of this section to participate in a university retirement program is irrevocable. The election shall be made in writing on a form provided by
the board and approved for the state by the commissioner of administration. The form must be filed with the university not
later than 30 days after the date on which the employee is notified by the university that the employee is eligible to participate in the program. A copy of
the form shall be delivered to the appropriate state retirement system. The election becomes irrevocable on the date it
is received by the board.
- (c) Participation in a university retirement program constitutes a waiver of all rights and benefits under the state retirement
systems earned on or after the effective date of the election while the employee is participating in a university retirement program.
- (d) Except as provided in (e) of this section, if a nonvested member of a state retirement system participates in
a university retirement program, the employee may choose to transfer the amount in the employee's contribution account to a university retirement program. If
the employee chooses to transfer the account, the appropriate state retirement system shall pay to the university on
behalf of the employee an amount equal to the balance in the account. The payment must be made within 45 days after notice of the employee's decision
to trasfer the employee's contribution account to a university retirement program is received by the state retirement system. The financial officer of the university shall immediately pay the
amount received to the designated company or companies for the benefit of the employee. An employee who transfers
assets under this subsection may not reclaim the corresponding service in the state retirement system if the employee
is reemployed under the state retirement system.
- (e) An employee whose rights to transfer assets out of a state retirement system are subject to a qualified domestic
relations order is entitled to transfer assets from the state retirement system to a university retirement program only if the requirements
for receiving a refund under AS 14.25.150(b), 14.25.360, AS 39.35.200(c), or 39.35.760, as appropriate, are met.
- (f) If a vested member of a state retirement system elects to participate in a university retirement program, the employee ceases to be an
active member of the state retirement system on the effective date of the participation in a university retirement program. The employee retains
all benefits accrued in the state retirement system.
- (g) An employee who does not participate in a university retirement program under this section becomes or remains a member of the
appropriate state retirement system.
- (h) Notwithstanding (b) of this section, the university may offer an employee who made an election not to
participate in an optional university retirement program at the time the employee was eligible to participate in the program an option
to enroll in a different university retirement program.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.