Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 25. Teachers' Retirement
- Section 164. Spouse's Pension.
previous: Section 163
. Rollover Distributions and Rollover Contributions.
next: Section 165
. Distribution Requirements.
AS 14.25.164. Spouse's Pension.
- (a) If an active or disabled member dies, a pension is payable to the member's spouse if the member made supplemental
contributions under AS 14.25.055 for at least one year
of credited service. If a retired member or deferred vested member dies, a pension is payable to the member's spouse if
the member made supplemental contributions under AS 14.25.055 for at least five years of credited service.
Application for the spouse's pension must be made in writing to the administrator.
- (b) A spouse's pension is payable under this section as follows:
- (1) a spouse's pension is equal to 50 percent of the retirement benefit that the deceased member was receiving; if the
member was not receiving a retirement benefit, the spouse's pension is equal to 50 percent of the amount the member
would have received, based on the member's average base salary and credited service to the date of the member's death
and assuming that the member would have been eligible for a normal retirement benefit as of that date;
- (2) in the event of the death of a member's spouse who is receiving a spouse's pension, the difference between the amount
that would have been paid under AS 14.25.160
and any payments made to the member, spouse, guardian, or dependent children shall be paid to those beneficiaries
described in AS 14.25.166
- (3) benefits are not payable under this section if benefits are payable under AS 14.25.155
, 14.25.157, 14.25.162, or 14.25.167.
- (c) The spouse's pension accrues from the first day of the month following the death of a member and is payable on the
last day of the month. If payment is delayed, a retroactive payment must be made for the month in which a benefit is
payable under this section. The last payment is for the month in which the spouse dies.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.