Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 25. Teachers' Retirement
- Section 162. Survivor's Allowance.
previous: Section 160
. Death Benefits.
next: Section 163
. Rollover Distributions and Rollover Contributions.
AS 14.25.162. Survivor's Allowance.
- (a) If an active or disabled member dies and leaves a dependent child, and supplemental contributions have been made under
for at least one year of credited service, a survivor's allowance is payable under (b) of this section. If a retired
member or a deferred vested member dies and leaves a dependent child, and supplemental contributions have been made
under AS 14.25.055
for at least five years of credited service, a survivor's allowance is payable under (b) of this section. Application
for the survivor's allowance must be made in writing to the administrator.
- (b) A survivor's allowance is payable under this section as follows:
- (1) an allowance of 10 percent of the member's base salary immediately before the member's death, retirement, or
disability shall be paid for each dependent child; if there are four or more dependent children, the total amount paid
to those children is 40 percent of the member's base salary before the member's death, retirement, or disability, paid
in equal amounts to each child; the allowance shall be recomputed for the month in which the number of dependent
children is less than four and the benefits shall be decreased accordingly; the adoption of a dependent child does not
terminate the survivor's allowance payable under this section;
- (2) an allowance of 35 percent of the member's base salary shall be paid to the member's surviving spouse as long as there
is an eligible dependent child, as determined under (b)(1) of this section, for whom the surviving spouse is legally
responsible; if there is no surviving spouse, an allowance of 10 percent of the member's base salary shall be paid to
each court-appointed guardian, not to exceed one allowance for each child or for each group of children who have the
same guardian or joint guardians;
- (3) when no further benefits are payable under this section, the difference between the amount that would have been paid
under AS 14.25.160 and any payments made to the
member, spouse, guardian, or dependent children under this section shall be paid to those beneficiaries described in AS
- (4) benefits are not payable under this section if benefits are payable under AS 14.25.155
, 14.25.157, 14.25.164, or 14.25.167.
- (c) The survivor's allowance accrues from the first day of the month following the death of a member and is payable on the
last day of the month. If payment is delayed, a retroactive payment must be made for the month in which a benefit is
payable under this section. The last payment is for the month in which a benefit is payable under this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.