Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 12. Code of Criminal Procedure
- Chapter 65. Death Investigations and Medical Examiners
- Section 25. Post Mortem Examinations.
previous: Section 20
. Medical Death Investigations.
next: Section 30
. - 12.65.090l Coroners Duties and Powers. [Repealed, Sec. 18 Ch 103 SLA 1996. For Current Law, See AS 09.55.062
AS 12.65.025. Post Mortem Examinations.
- (a) The state medical examiner shall designate the facilities at which post mortem examinations and autopsies ordered
under this chapter may be performed. The Department of Health and Social Services shall pay the costs of
- (1) post mortem examinations and autopsies ordered under this chapter;
- (2) related transportation to the location where the post mortem examination is conducted and then to the community
closest to where the death occurred, except that transportation costs to another requested location may be paid to the
extent that the costs do not exceed the costs of returning the body to the community closest to where the death
- (3) embalming required by law; and
- (4) cosmetology necessary to make the head, face, neck, and hands of the deceased presentable if those parts of the body
are disfigured by the post mortem examination.
- (b) The Department of Health and Social Services shall provide clothing and a casket for the deceased if the person
legally responsible for the burial, other than the state, is unable to pay for clothing and a casket and the
responsible person does not object.
- (c) Instead of paying the cost of services listed under (a)(3), (a)(4), and (b) of this section, the Department of Health
and Social Services may pay for the cremation and inurnment of the deceased if
- (1) the person legally responsible for the burial requests or approves the cremation and inurnment; and
- (2) the cost to the department of the cremation and inurnment does not exceed the cost to the state of services listed
under (a)(3), (a)(4), and (b) of this section that the department would otherwise pay for or provide for the deceased.
- (d) The Department of Health and Social Services shall establish the maximum amounts or rates that the department will pay
for services under this section. Facilities designated under (a) of this section, as a condition of their designation,
shall agree to accept reimbursement from the department as payment in full for services provided by the facility under
this section, and may not seek reimbursement for those services from a third party.
- (e) A person is "unable to pay" under this section if the person
- (1) is eligible for assistance under AS 47.25.120
- 47.25.300; or
- (2) is otherwise unable to provide clothing and a casket for the deceased.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.