Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 25. Marital and Domestic Relations
- Chapter 20. Parent and Child
- Section 60. Petition For Award of Child Custody.
previous: Section 55
. Early Acknowledgement of Paternity Program.
next: Section 61
. Visitation in Proceedings Involving Domestic Violence.
AS 25.20.060. Petition For Award of Child Custody.
- (a) If there is a dispute over child custody, either parent may petition the superior court for resolution of the matter
under AS 25.20.060 - 25.20.130. The court shall award custody on the basis of
the best interests of the child. In determining the best interests of the child, the court shall consider all relevant
factors, including those factors enumerated in AS 25.24.150
(c), and the presumption established in AS 25.24.150
(g). In a custody determination under this section, the court shall provide for visitation by a grandparent or other
person if that is in the best interests of the child.
- (b) Neither parent, regardless of the question of the child's legitimacy, is entitled to preference in the awarding of
- (c) The court may award shared custody to both parents if shared custody is determined by the court to be in the best
interests of the child. An award of shared custody shall assure that the child has frequent and continuing contact
with each parent to the maximum extent possible.
- (d) If the court finds that a parent or child is a victim of domestic violence, the court may order that the address and
telephone number of the parent or child be kept confidential in the proceedings.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.