- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 31. Oil and Gas
- Chapter 5. Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Act
- Section 60. Action By Commission.
previous: Section 50
next: Section 70
. Attendance and Testimony of Witnesses.
AS 31.05.060. Action By Commission.
- (a) The commission may act upon its own motion, or upon the petition of an interested person. On the filing of a petition
concerning a matter within the jurisdiction of the commission under this chapter, the commission shall promptly fix a
date for a hearing, and shall cause notice of the hearing to be given. The hearing shall be held without undue delay
after the filing of the petition. The commission shall enter its order within 30 days after the hearing.
- (b) Except as provided in this subsection, any action by the commission under this chapter that has statewide or general
application shall be performed in accordance with AS 44.62
(Administrative Procedure Act). Any action by the commission under this chapter that has application to a single well
or single field need not comply with the provisions of AS 44.62.330
- 44.62.630, but shall be performed in accordance
with regulations of the commission designed to afford persons affected by the action notice and an opportunity to be
- (c) Notwithstanding the requirements of (a) and (b) of this section that relate to fixing a date for a hearing and causing
notice of the hearing to be given, for an action under this chapter that involves the exploration for or development of
nonconventional gas and that has application to a single well or a single field, upon the request of a lessee or
operator, the commission may, where operations might be unduly delayed, approve a variance from the commission's
regulations that apply to the well or field without providing notice and opportunity to be heard. In the exercise of
its authority to issue the variance,
- (1) the commission may approve the variance if
- (A) the approval provides at least an equally effective means of accomplishing the requirement set out in the commission's
- (B) the commission determines that the request is more appropriate to the proposed operation than compliance with the
requirement of the regulation; and
- (2) the terms of the approval of the variance may include exempting the lessee or operator from a requirement of a
regulation if the commission determines that the requirement is not necessary or not suited to the well or field taking
- (A) the nature of the operation involved;
- (B) the characteristics of the well or field for which the variance is sought; and
- (C) the reasonably anticipated risks of the exemption from the requirement to human safety and the environment.
- (d) The provisions of (c) of this section do not apply to authorize approval of a variance from the commission's
regulations that relate to underground injection.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.