(a) It is unlawful for the owner, lessee, manager, agent, or employee of a public accommodation
(1) to refuse, withhold from, or deny to a person any of its services, goods, facilities, advantages, or privileges because of sex, physical or mental disability, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, race, religion, color, or national origin;
(2) to publish, circulate, issue, display, post, or mail a written or printed communication, notice, or advertisement that states or implies
(A) that any of the services, goods, facilities, advantages, or privileges of the public accommodation will be refused, withheld from, or denied to a person of a certain race, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, marital status, color, or national origin or because of pregnancy, parenthood, or a change in marital status, or
(B) that the patronage of a person belonging to a particular race, creed, sex, marital status, color, or national origin or who, because of pregnancy, parenthood, physical or mental disability, or a change in marital status, is unwelcome, not desired, or solicited.
(b) Notwithstanding (a) of this section, a physical fitness facility may limit public accommodation to only males or only females to protect the privacy interests of its users. Public accommodation may be limited under this subsection only to those rooms in the facility that are primarily used for weight loss, aerobic, and other exercises, or for resistance weight training. Public accommodation may not be limited under this subsection to rooms in the facility primarily used for other purposes, including conference rooms, dining rooms, and premises licensed under AS 04.11. This subsection does not apply to swimming pools or golf courses.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 18.80.010. Creation.
- Sec. 18.80.020. Composition and appointment.
- Sec. 18.80.030. Chairman of commission.
- Sec. 18.80.040. Commission meetings.
- Sec. 18.80.050. Regulations.
- Sec. 18.80.060. Powers and duties of the commission.
- Sec. 18.80.070. Compensation.
- Sec. 18.80.075. Legal counsel.
- Sec. 18.80.100. Complaint; withdrawal.
- Sec. 18.80.105. Temporary restraining order.
- Sec. 18.80.110. Investigation and conciliation.
- Sec. 18.80.112. Dismissal of complaint without prejudice.
- Sec. 18.80.115. Confidential information.
- Sec. 18.80.120. Hearing.
- Sec. 18.80.130. Order; interest rate.
- Sec. 18.80.135. Judicial review and enforcement.
- Sec. 18.80.140. Effect of compliance with order.
- Sec. 18.80.145. Intervention by State Commission for Human Rights.
- Sec. 18.80.150. Annual report.
- Sec. 18.80.160. Informative publications.
- Sec. 18.80.200. Purpose.
- Sec. 18.80.210. Civil rights.
- Sec. 18.80.215. Activities in aid of housing for minority groups.
- Sec. 18.80.220. Unlawful employment practices; exception.
- Sec. 18.80.240. Unlawful practices in the sale or rental of real property.
- Sec. 18.80.250. Unlawful financing practice.
- Sec. 18.80.255. Unlawful practices by the state or its political subdivisions.
- Sec. 18.80.260. Aiding, abetting, or coercing a violation of chapter.
- Sec. 18.80.270. Penalty.
- Sec. 18.80.280. Acquittal bars other actions.
- Sec. 18.80.290. Local human rights commissions.
- Sec. 18.80.295. Apprenticeship programs.
- Sec. 18.80.300. Definitions.