Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 60. Safety
- Section 800. Elevator Safety Standards.
previous: Section 780
next: Section 810
. Emergency Power Source. [Repealed, Sec. 5 Ch 31 SLA 1983].
AS 18.60.800. Elevator Safety Standards.
- (a) Unless the Department of Labor and Workforce Development establishes by regulation a different edition, the most
current edition of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators published by
the American Society of Mechanical Engineers constitutes the minimum elevator safety code in the state. Section 1001.1,
Inspection and Test Periods, of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
is not adopted as a part of the minimum elevator safety code in the state.
- (b) The Department of Labor and Workforce Development shall
- (1) adopt or change regulations to carry out the provisions of AS 18.60.800 - 18.60.820;
- (2) inspect and certify elevators to meet the safety requirements, but need not inspect or certify elevators in a
municipality that has adopted or prescribed elevator safety standards under (d) of this section if the commissioner
determines that inspection and certification by the municipality adequately protect the public;
- (3) establish, by regulation, fees for inspections performed under AS 18.60.800 - 18.60.820; and
- (4) maintain a record of all inspections performed and of all inspection fees collected.
- (c) Inspections of elevators by the department shall be performed in accordance with the procedures set out in the most
recent edition of the National Standard Practice for the Inspection of Elevators and Escalators published by the
American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- (d) A municipality may adopt the standards established by this section or prescribe standards more stringent than those
established by this section.
- (e) [Renumbered as AS 18.60.825
- (f) Inspection fees collected under (b) of this section shall be deposited into the building safety account created under
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.