(a) Except as otherwise provided by law, a person may not bring an action (1) for libel, slander, assault, battery, seduction, or false imprisonment, (2) for personal injury or death, or injury to the rights of another not arising on contract and not specifically provided otherwise; (3) for taking, detaining, or injuring personal property, including an action for its specific recovery; (4) upon a statute for a forfeiture or penalty to the state; or (5) upon a liability created by statute, other than a penalty or forfeiture; unless the action is commenced within two years of the accrual of the cause of action.
(b) A person may not bring an action against a peace officer or coroner upon a liability incurred by the doing of an act in an official capacity or by the omission of an official duty, including the nonpayment of money collected upon an execution, unless brought within two years. This subsection does not apply to an action for an escape.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 09.10.010. General limitations on civil actions. Repealed
- Sec. 09.10.030. Actions to recover real property.
- Sec. 09.10.040. Action upon judgment or sealed instrument in 10 years. Repealed
- Sec. 09.10.050. Certain property actions to be brought in six years.
- Sec. 09.10.053. Contract actions to be brought in three years.
- Sec. 09.10.054. Limits on when certain design, construction, and remodeling actions may be brought.
- Sec. 09.10.055. Statute of repose of 10 years.
- Sec. 09.10.060. Actions for certain statutory penalties to be brought in three years. Repealed
- Sec. 09.10.065. Commencement of actions for acts constituting sexual offenses.
- Sec. 09.10.075. Actions related to claims based on medical assistance payment fraud. [See delayed amendment note.]
- Sec. 09.10.080. Actions related to escape to be brought in one year.
- Sec. 09.10.090. Actions for penalty.
- Sec. 09.10.100. Other actions in 10 years.
- Sec. 09.10.110. Accrual of cause of action upon mutual, open, and current account.
- Sec. 09.10.120. Actions in name of state, political subdivisions, or public corporations.
- Sec. 09.10.130. Effect of absence from state or concealment.
- Sec. 09.10.140. Disabilities of minority and incompetency. Repealed
- Sec. 09.10.160. Disability of alien during war.
- Sec. 09.10.170. Commencement stayed by injunction or statute.
- Sec. 09.10.180. Time at which disability exists.
- Sec. 09.10.190. Coexisting disabilities.
- Sec. 09.10.200. Acknowledgment or promise.
- Sec. 09.10.210. Past due payments.
- Sec. 09.10.220. Action arising in other jurisdictions between nonresidents.
- Sec. 09.10.230. Certain actions relating to real property.
- Sec. 09.10.240. Commencement of action after dismissal or reversal.