Made available by
Touch N' Go Systems, Inc., and the
Law Offices of James B. Gottstein.
You can also go to The Alaska Legal Resource Center or search the entire website search.
(a) All teachers' and administrators' contracts for Alaska public schools must contain at least the following provisions:
Minimum Standard Contract Conditions
(1) date, name of school, and name of teacher employed;
(2) date salary is to start and the length of service in school days, including legal holidays;
(3) annual salary and the number of payments;
(4) repealed 1/1/76;
(5) oath of allegiance as prescribed by AS 39.05.045 or, if the teacher is not a U.S. citizen, the following:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I do not advocate the overthrow of the constitutional form of government of the United States or Alaska, and that I will faithfully discharge my duties as ____________ to the best of my ability."
(6) statement authorizing deductions for the Teachers' Retirement System if eligible, or Social Security if applicable;
(7) contract to show clearly that each teacher in a public school must file a medical certificate with the chief school administrator;
(8) contract to be terminated without liability to the employing board
(A) if the teacher fails to discharge the duties imposed, either through incapacity or disability, or
(B) for cause, as defined in AS 14.20.170 ;
(9) contract to be terminated without penalty to the employing board if it becomes necessary to eliminate the position because of a decreased enrollment if at least 30 days' written notice is given; in addition, in hardship cases, the employing board may, in its discretion, afford such compensation as it considers necessary, but not more than payment for 20 days of service at the regular contract per diem rate;
(10) contract to be terminated without penalty to the employing board if the teacher fails to obtain a valid certificate in accordance with 4 AAC 12;
(11) contract to be made in duplicate and signed by at least two members of the school board and the teacher;
(12) all contracts for teachers (as defined by AS 14.20.370 ) must contain a clause stating that the teacher is obligated to abide by the code of ethics and the professional teaching standards adopted by the Professional Teaching Practices Commission.
(b) School boards may not add to a teacher's contract any provisions or conditions which will conflict with or nullify the provisions of (a) of this section.
(c) Repealed 1/1/76.
(d) Contracts may be terminated by mutual consent of both parties upon 30 days' written notice by either party and the written assent of the other party; a teacher failing to give the written notice, or who leaves a position following the notice without having the written assent of the employing board, may be liable to revocation of certificate for breach of contract.
History: In effect before 7/28/59; am 4/4/63, Register 10; am 4/1/67, Register 24; am 5/30/71, Register 38; am 9/20/74, Register 51; am 12/4/76, Register 60; am 5/10/78, Register 66; am 6/10/83, Register 86
Authority: AS 14.07.060
AS 14.25.110 (c)
Note to HTML Version:
The Alaska Administrative Code was automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy, but neither Touch N' Go Systems nor the Law Offices of James B. Gottstein can be held responsible for any possible errors. This version of the Alaska Administrative Code is current through June, 2006.
If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Administrative Code be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. Recent editions of the Alaska Administrative Journal may be obtained from the Alaska Lieutenant Governor's Office on the world wide web. If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We hope you find this information useful. Copyright 2006. Touch N' Go Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified 7/05/2006