- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 65. Handicrafts and Works of Art
- Section 200. Artists and Art Dealer Relationships.
previous: Section 80
. - 45.65.150l [Renumbered as AS 44.33.501
next: Section 210
AS 45.65.200. Artists and Art Dealer Relationships.
- (a) When an artist delivers or causes to be delivered a work of art of the artist's own creation to an art dealer for the
purpose of sale, or exhibition and sale, on a commission, fee, or other basis of compensation, the acceptance of the
work of art by the art dealer is a consignment, and
- (1) the art dealer is, with respect to the work of art, the agent of the artist;
- (2) the work of art is trust property in the hands of the art dealer for the benefit of the artist;
- (3) proceeds from the sale of the work of art are trust funds in the hands of the art dealer for the benefit of the
- (4) the art dealer shall return an unsold work of art on demand of the artist;
- (5) the art dealer is strictly liable for loss or damage to a work of art while the work of art is in the possession of
the art dealer; the value of a lost or damaged work of art is the value established by written agreement between the
artist and art dealer before the loss or damage of the work of art; if no written agreement establishing the value of
the work of art exists, the value is the fair market value of the work of art less the art dealer's commission or fee;
- (6) the dealer shall transmit the proceeds to the artist within 30 days of receipt by the dealer; if the sale is on
installment, the money from each installment shall first be applied to pay any balance due the artist on the sale,
unless the artist expressly agrees in writing that the proceeds on each installment are to be paid according to a
percentage established by the consignment agreement.
- (b) A work of art initially received as a consignment remains trust property notwithstanding the subsequent purchase of
the artwork by the art dealer directly or indirectly for the art dealer's own account until the consignment price due
to the artist is paid in full. The trusteeship continues until the fiduciary obligation of the art dealer with respect
to the transaction is discharged in full.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.