- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 50. Competitive Practices, Regulation of Competition, and Consumer Protection
- Section 561. Definitions; Short Title.
previous: Section 551
. Civil Penalties.
next: Section 562
. Combinations in Restraint of Trade Unlawful.
AS 45.50.561. Definitions; Short Title.
- (a) In AS 45.50.471
- (1) "advertising" includes the attempt directly or indirectly by publication, dissemination, solicitation, endorsement, or
circulation, display in any manner, including solicitation or dissemination by mail, telephone or door-to-door
contacts, or in any other way, to induce directly or indirectly a person to enter or not enter into an obligation or
acquire title or interest in any merchandise or to increase the consumption of it or to make a loan;
- (2) "cemetery lot" means a lot, plot, space, grave, niche, mausoleum, crypt, vault, or columbarium, used or intended to be
used for the interment of human remains;
- (3) "chain distributor scheme" means a sales device whereby a person, upon condition that the person make an investment,
is granted a license or right to solicit or recruit for profit one or more additional persons who are also granted a
license or right upon condition of making an investment and may further perpetuate the chain of persons who are granted
a license or right upon the condition of investment; a limitation as to the number of persons who may participate, or
the presence of additional conditions affecting eligibility for the license or right to solicit or recruit or the
receipt of profit from these does not change the identity of the scheme as a chain distributor scheme; as used in this
paragraph, "investment" means acquisition, for a consideration other than personal services, of tangible or intangible
property, and includes but is not limited to franchises, business opportunities and services; "investment" does not
include sales demonstration equipment and materials furnished at cost for use in making sales and not for resale;
- (4) "consumer" means a person who seeks or acquires goods or services by lease or purchase;
- (5) "dealing in hearing aids" has the meaning given in AS 08.55.200
- (6) "documentary material" means the original or a copy of a book, record, report, memorandum, paper, communication,
tabulation, map, chart, photograph, mechanical transcription, or other tangible document or recording, wherever
- (7) "examination" of documentary material includes the inspection, study, or copying of the material, and the taking of
testimony under oath or acknowledgment in respect of documentary material or copy of it;
- (8) "fresh" means a condition of food that has never been frozen;
- (9) "goods or services" includes goods or services provided in connection with a consumer credit transaction or with a
transaction involving an indebtedness secured by the borrower's residence;
- (10) "hearing aid" has the meaning given in AS 08.55.200
- (11) "knowingly" means actual awareness of the falsity or deception, but actual awareness may be inferred where objective
manifestations indicate that a person acted with actual awareness;
- (12) "seconds" means manufactured items having flaws or consisting of a standard quantity or quality less than the
manufacturer's quality standard.
- (b) AS 45.50.471
- 45.50.561 may be cited as the Alaska Unfair Trade
Practices and Consumer Protection Act.
Article 04. MONOPOLIES; RESTRAINT OF TRADE
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.