- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 50. Competitive Practices, Regulation of Competition, and Consumer Protection
- Section 541. Nonnegotiability of Consumer Paper.
previous: Section 537
. Attorney Fees, Costs, and Damages.
next: Section 542
. Provisions Not Waivable.
AS 45.50.541. Nonnegotiability of Consumer Paper.
- (a) If a contract for sale or lease of consumer goods or services on credit entered into between a retail seller and a
retail buyer requires or involves the execution of a promissory note or instrument or other evidence of indebtedness of
the buyer, the note, instrument, or evidence of indebtedness shall have printed on its face the words "consumer paper,"
and the note, instrument, or evidence of indebtedness with the words "consumer paper" printed on it is not a negotiable
instrument, within the meaning of AS 45.01 - AS 45.08, AS 45.12, AS 45.14, and AS 45.29 (Uniform Commercial Code).
- (b) Notwithstanding the absence of such a notice on a note, instrument, or evidence of indebtedness arising out of a
consumer credit sale or consumer lease as described in this section, an assignee of the rights of the seller or lessor
is subject to all claims and defenses of the buyer or lessee against the seller or lessor arising out of the sale or
lease. An agreement to the contrary has no effect in limiting the rights of a consumer.
- (c) The assignee's liability under this section may not exceed the amount owing to the assignee at the time the claim or
defense is asserted against the assignee.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.