- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 45. Trade Practices
- Section 920. Free Trial Period.
previous: Section 910
. Sale or Transfer of Consumer Electrical Products.
next: Section 930
. Opt-Out Marketing Plans.
AS 45.45.920. Free Trial Period.
- (a) Notwithstanding a provision in AS 45.02 to the contrary, a
seller may not offer, promote, advertise, or provide a consumer with goods or services for a free trial period unless
the seller complies with all the conditions of this section.
- (b) When offering, promoting, or advertising consumer goods or services for a free trial period, a seller shall clearly
and conspicuously disclose all material terms and conditions of the free trial period, including
- (1) all material restrictions, limitations, terms, and conditions of the free trial period, including any obligation by
the consumer to purchase a minimum quantity of goods or services after the free trial period ends;
- (2) a description of all charges that will be imposed after the free trial period ends, including whether billing will
include charges for shipping and handling and, if the offer, promotion, or advertising is made by telephone, the amount
of the shipping and handling charges;
- (3) a description of the consumer's right to cancel; and
- (4) any other obligations the consumer assumes by accepting or using the goods or services during the free trial period.
- (c) Before providing goods or services to a consumer for a free trial period, a seller shall obtain express verifiable
consent from the consumer to the free trial period.
- (d) A consumer who receives goods or services for a free trial period may
- (1) at any time during the free trial period, return the goods or cancel the services without further obligation to the
- (2) within 30 days after the free trial period ends, return the goods or cancel the services for a full refund of the
charges, if any, or a partial refund for the unused portion of the goods or services.
- (e) This section does not apply to a seller who provides goods or services to a consumer for free if the consumer does not
assume any obligation by accepting the free goods or services.
- (f) This section does not apply to
- (1) a telephonic seller who is registered under AS 45.63 and who
complies with AS 45.63; or
- (2) a prenotification negative option plan that is regulated by 16 C.F.R. 425 and that complies with 16 C.F.R. 425.
- (g) In this section, "seller" means a person who engages in the business of selling, contracting for the sale of,
arranging for the sale of, or arranging for a free trial period for goods or services.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.