- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 45. Trade and Commerce
- Chapter 45. Trade Practices
- Section 360. Definitions.
previous: Section 355
. Arbitration or Mediation.
next: Section 400
. Prohibited Transfer of Used Motor Vehicles.
AS 45.45.360. Definitions.
In AS 45.45.300
- (1) "dealer" means a person who has obtained a franchise from, or is authorized by, a motor vehicle manufacturer to engage
in the retail sale and warranty repair of the manufacturer's new motor vehicles in the state;
- (2) "distributor" means a person who is authorized by a manufacturer to engage in the wholesale distribution of the
manufacturer's new motor vehicles in the state;
- (3) "express warranty" or "warranty" means an express written warranty provided by the manufacturer of a new motor
- (4) "full purchase price" means the total price paid for a motor vehicle by the original owner, including costs added to
the retail price, such as original registration fees, transportation fees, dealer preparation, and dealer installed
- (5) "manufacturer" means a person who by labor transforms raw materials and component parts into motor vehicles for
wholesale or retail sale;
- (6) "motor vehicle" or "vehicle" means a land vehicle having four or more wheels, that is self-propelled by a motor, is
normally used for personal, family, or household purposes, and is required to be registered under AS 28.10; but does not include a tractor, farm vehicle, or a vehicle
designed primarily for off-road use;
- (7) "nonconformity" means a defect or condition in a motor vehicle caused by a manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or
repairing agent that substantially impairs the use or market value of a vehicle;
- (8) "owner" means a purchaser, other than for resale, of a new motor vehicle, and a person to whom ownership of the motor
vehicle is transferred in conformity with AS 28;
- (9) "reasonable allowance" means an amount attributable to an owner's use of a motor vehicle; a "reasonable allowance" may
not exceed an amount equal to the depreciation in value of the vehicle for the period during which the vehicle is
available for use by the owner, calculated by a straight line depreciation method over seven years, plus an amount
equal to the depreciation in value of the vehicle that is caused by
- (A) any neglect or abuse by the owner; or
- (B) body damage not caused by a nonconformity;
- (10) "repairing agent" means a person who has been specifically authorized by a motor vehicle manufacturer or distributor
to perform warranty repairs in the state on one or more of the manufacturer's or distributor's motor vehicles;
- (11) "substantially impairs the market value" means a nonconformity that substantially decreases the dollar value of a
vehicle to the owner when compared to the dollar value of a similar vehicle that does not have the nonconformity;
- (12) "substantially impairs the use" means a nonconformity that prevents a motor vehicle from being operated or makes the
vehicle unsafe to operate.
Article 07. USED VEHICLE SALES IN EMISSION INSPECTION AREAS
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.